CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Radio appliances [was: CTU Survey Results]

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Radio appliances [was: CTU Survey Results]
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:17:04 -0500
Bob,

I respectfully need to take exception to your statement that hams are wrong
thinking computers should be able to integrate into a hamshack without
knowledge of their (computers) operation. I believe we DO have the right to
expect seamless integration. This expectation is what pushes technology
forward. Are we there yet? Absolutely not! Is it a worthy goal? Absolutely, yes!

Here's an example of what I'm suggesting:

Serial ports... Have your mother try to hook two pieces of gear together using
serial ports. She will need a knowledge of protocol, speed, connectors, bits,
parity, null or straight thru cable, etc, etc, etc...

Compare that to USB. She needs to know basically, nothing... She plugs her
camera, scanner, external disk drive, mouse, or whatever (radio?) into the end
of the cable and the computer automatically detects the device and sets itself
up. She can get right to the task at hand (using her new device).

As time passes, our radios will become even more of an "appliance". We should
expect, better yet, demand the manufacturers accelerate the integration of
radio and computer technology. USB ports have been available since 1996. Why
wasn't USB integrated into our radios a long time ago? Hams are supposed to be
using leading edge technologies (so "they" say). So why do I need a level
converter and know the serial parameters for my radio? And why is every other
radio different? And why isn't there a standardized communication protocol,
similar to ADIF, that will control all radios?

Answer me this... Why?... huh, just why?  :-)

One last shot at this concept... when you go to play a game of baseball you're
really not interested in how the bats and balls are made. Although it might be
interesting to some, it is not relevant to the task at hand... playing baseball.

<soapbox=stepdown>

I do realize you are referring to integrating OLD technology and new computers.
I agree we are in a "transition period" where all the old stuff hasn't found
its way to the landfill yet. And as frugal as hams are, that may take more than
a few more decades.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

...I'm turning into my father and I can't stop it...

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:52:27 -0500
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CTU Survey Results
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>

Bill,

I presume that you are referring to my comments so I will respond.

My response was to point out that Andy N2NT's summary was correct when he
said TR would not work on a Windows machine. Anyone trying to run TR on a
real Windows (WinNT, 2K, XP, or Vista) machine will NOT have success. If
someone was considering running TR on a new Vista machine, he or she should
know that it will not work.

I think that many wrongly think that they have a right to incorporate a
computer into their ham activities without needing to understand how
computers work. I could go on, but I think that says all that needs be said.

73,

Bob W5OV