CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation

To: "'Guy Molinari'" <guy_molinari@hotmail.com>, <jimk8mr@aol.com>,<w5ov@w5ov.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:06:46 -0400

> This ruling allows more flexibility in how the bands are
> used.  I can't see how this can be anything but good for
> everyone.   Even the curmudgeons  ;-).   Spectrum that gets
> used is less likely to be taken away.

Not true ... digital operation is not permitted in spectrum
allocated to phone.  The changes on 80 and 40 will push a
substantial amount of domestic digital activity right into
the middle of Advanced/General/Novice/Tech+ CW activity and
will result is a substantial problem.  I can almost guarantee
the automated WinLink systems will ruin plenty of SS and
other contest "run" frequencies by firing up without listening
and cranking away endlessly until they get their message through.

These changes are a disaster for digital activity and it will
be put squarely in competition with much of the current CW usage.
In addition, given the regulatory prohibition on digital operation
in the phone/image allocations, the pressure on a declining
"narrowband" allocations will only continue to the detriment of
CW.

The sad part is that most of the problems are avoidable with
two simple changes:

   1) make the 80/75 division at 3650 instead of 3600
   2) allow (continued) digital access to 7075-7100 and
      delete the US R1/R3 phone allocation there now that
      R1/R3 have access to 7100 - 7200.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV