CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category
From: "Randy Thompson" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:43:45 -0000
I am sooooo close to agreeing with this.  Let's get back to one single op
category and have at it.  If only it was that simple.

At the top of the standings, it wouldn't cause much of a change.  The scores
for SO and SOA are pretty similar.  The top guys in both categories are
winning on a combination of skill, station, and geography.

However, as you move down the listings, the advantage of packet really
starts to show up. Multipliers have a bigger impact in a 500 QSO log than
one with 3000 QSOs. So it would be unfair to the guys who don't have access
(or desire) to use Packet.

There are a lot of people who enjoy the satisfaction of doing things on
their own and not relying on the spoon feeding or distraction of packet.  It
is a pretty good feeling to have more multipliers and a bigger score than
the guys that use packet.

The WAE contest allows packet for all competitors.  The listings indicate if
a station claims no packet use.  Seems to be a good compromise, but I know
there are many single ops who stopped participating because of this.  So
there is risk of losing supporters for any contest that allows packet use.

For now, I continue to be in favor of separate categories for SO and
Assisted. Well, I am really in favor of eliminating packet, but that seems
to be impossible.  :)

Would love to see more definition of terms in contest rules so that we had
more agreement on what is right and wrong.  I doubt any of us have read all
the laws for our town, state, and country, yet we generally "know" what is
legal and what is not.  Regardless of the text of the rules, same should be
true for contesting.

Randy, K5ZD