CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] zero pointers etc

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] zero pointers etc
From: "Rick Dougherty" <nq4i@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:46:09 -0500
Hi all...I have been analyzing my log to see if there are areas that I can
improve my point per qso ratio...its amazing when you sit down after the
contest and do a little analysis...first off...my stations are coded and I can
see if the run or mult station made a qso..we made a gross number of qso's of
5286 qso's...of that total, 191 were dupes...further analysis shows that less
than 8% were made on the mult station...that means that 92 % of the dupes
called the run station...of our gross qso number we were called by 462 zero
pointers...and its kinda amazing that some of these zero pointers were also
dupes!

Our average run rate for the entire station is 110 qso's per hour for the total
48 hours...a total of 462 zero pointers and 191 dupes is 653 qso's that were
totally useless information exchanged...or a waste of 5.9 hours for the entire
station....

I gave a little thought to the process and come up with the following
explanations:

1. Our location has us beaming thru the major East Coast population areas to
get to EU, while our competition has the back of their antennas to these same
areas...
2. Most people don't have a logging/duping program....duh!!!!
3. The casual day to day operator really does not have any conception of the
rules of the contest and thinks he is truly helping out...that meaning the
stateside callers passing out qso's

With all this aside, the 8% that were called by my MULT operators, I offer an
apology...we will work on improving our error rate and reducing our wasted
effort...but what can be done to inform the masses?? You want the casual day to
day operator to call you in WPX, but since we don't get any points for same
country in CQWW, it really distorts the playing field....is it time to step up
to the plate and allow 1 point per qso for contacts within one's country??

de Rick NQ4I