CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE signal strengths from last weekends contest

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE signal strengths from last weekends contest
From: "VE6JY Don Moman" <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:43:35 -0000
Chris, Interesting to see the 20m comparisons.  Joel VE6WQ was operating
from here (VE6JY)  and for the first time in a long time, 20 meters seemed
to "work". From 53 deg north, that has been rare lately.  From a quick
glance at the mult sheet, we think Joel worked all 40 CQ zones.  Why can't
that happen in CQWW, hi! There was virtually 48 hours of runnable Europe.
2200-0200 was the least productive time so was replaced by sleep. Asia and
especially Japan were not plentiful.

 The antenna system is unchanged, it is a 3 high stack with the top at 160
feet.  These are 5 element 48' home brew yagis.  When there was no
propagation from Japan, the top 2 yagis were combined into Europe.  When JA
or Asia was a possibility, the top ant was on Eu and the 2nd top was on JA.,
and then combined. The amp was an Alpha 77DX (yes Virginia, just one 8877)
running a comfortable 1500 watts.

>From the partial rate chart (first day) below, the Europe run gained
momentum around 0500 and was dropping by 11 and 1200 (and Joel needed a rest
as his work schedule had been hectic).  We could often get a good run in
this time frame 0600-1000 but most Eu do not listen stateside at this time
in this contest as you only hear the more northerly bunch of VE5, 6, and 7's
at this time, and only if conditions are fairly decent.

hour    rate             total
    5      54      54     307
    6      82      82     389
    7     129     129     518
    8      79      79     597
    9     143     143     740
   10     104     104     844
   11      31      31     875
   12       0       0     875
   13      11      11     886
   14      43      43     929
   15     105     105    1034
   16     102     102    1136
   17      76      76    1212
   18      76      76    1288
   19      87      87    1375
   20      52      52    1427
   21      50      50    1477
   22       0       0    1477
   23       1       1    1478

 The 2nd morning I noticed 15 meters was very open to Europe in the 0800
area which is well before the "regular" time of 1500-1800. I was operating
single band 80 from here and even experienced good conditions to Europe and
north Africa on that band.

We're all hoping this continues for BERU (VE6BF operating) next weekend and
WPX after that.

73 Don
VE6JY
http://andor.net/ve6jy