CQ-Contest

ARRL CW - KS1L (K1CC op.) S/O

Subject: ARRL CW - KS1L (K1CC op.) S/O
From: /R=UTRC/R=MRGATE/U=RJA/FFN=RJA/@mrgate.utc.com (/R=UTRC/R=MRGATE/U=RJA/FFN=RJA/@mrgate.utc.com)
Date: Mon Feb 22 14:27:53 1993
KS1L (K1CC op)   S/O unassisted
-------------------------------
160     25    17
 80    173    47
 40    460    78
 20    753    79
 15    864    81
 10    377    80
      -----------
      2652   382  =   3.03M

Station: (2) TS-930's + (2) Ten-Tec Titans

Antennas used:
10:  KT-34XA @ 70', 4el Hy-Gain @ 75'
15:  5el Hy-Gain @ 85'
20:  KT-34XA @ 70'
40:  2el Cushcraft @ 75'
80:  Inv-V @ 75', 1/4 wave vertical
160: Inv-L
500' beverage to EU (didn't work)

KS1L invited me to guest-op his station ("let's see what it'll do")
I talked him into rearranging his station for 2 radios.  Lack of
separate feedlines limited antenna selections to the ones listed
above.  Last minute beverage didn't work...  hurt on the low bands.

Started on 15 to JA (ugh!), quickly moved to 40.  Best hour was
124/hr (07Z hour on 20 at EU sunrise first night).  Worst hour was
10/hr (just 3 hours later).  Black hole 2nd night 07-10Z, took
3+ hours off.  Had 5 hours in contest over 100/hr.  Ran EU on 10
Saturday for 4 hours, no EU runs at all on 10 on Sunday.  Ran EU
on 15 Sunday for 6 hours.  I was middle guy between K1DG & KY3N.
Sorry DG, I really couldn't move up any higher!  Great JA run on
15 last 2 hours.  42.5 hours on time according to CT.

Couldn't seem to get stations to move to other bands (was it my
call?).  Big variations in rates on Sunday (lack of stacks or
stratwarm?)  Will someone ever teach the F's how to send copiable
CW on a straight key??  Station plays.
                                           -- Rich K1CC