CQ-Contest

WPX rules?

Subject: WPX rules?
From: DEVANS@lynx.colorado.edu (DEVANS@lynx.colorado.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 3 18:29:23 1994
>Internal radiophysics.com LAN RFC 822 headers
>From evans@jupiter Fri Jun  3 10:05:40 1994
>To: interput("in%""cq-contest@tgv.com""")
>From: evans@jupiter (D. R. Evans)
>Subject: RE:  WPX rules?

>We had a discussion going at KY1H during the contest about this. Someone
>(NCN, was it you?) said that you can't do that if you're from the
>continental 48 to begin with, but foreign (DXCC-wise) you can, so that
>KH6XYZ/NQ3 or G0XYZ/NQ3 is allowed, but W2UP/NQ3 isn't.
>We weren't sure, though. I'd like to know if there's a definitive
>answer to this, too....

Back when I was G4AMJ/W0, the reciprocal rules stated that you had to use
the modifier "W". As I recollect, this was not written on the permit itself,
but somewhere quite different, like in the overall licensing agreement
between the US and the UK. (I don't remember details.) But I am positive
about the "W" requirement. These days I know that the W goes in front, but I
doubt that the requirement for it to be "W" has not changed.

K1ZX, maybe you can ask that 'BKI fellow.

Doc Evans NQ0I/G4AMJ : devans@orion.colorado.edu
                       al019@freenet.hsc.colorado.edu

From: eric%modular.UUCP@cs.arizona.edu (Eric Gustafson) (Eric Gustafson)
Subject: Worldwide Field Day?

>   Derek Wills said...

>   Perhaps the date could slip by a month each year, so that we would get
>   December now and again.  At least there would be fewer mosquitos, and
>   the ops would lower their beer intake (ha).

Now here is an idea that *I* can get behind!  When we won 1A from Yuma in
1980, the temperature at the operating position at 3 AM local time was at
its lowest for the entire contest.  It was 104 F.  One of the ops lost more
than 10 pounds over the 2 days.  everyone lost at least 5 (and some didn't
have it to loose).  Rotation of the date would also allow the contest to
cover differing band conditions (after all we really don't know when the
"emergency" is going to occur do we?)  I'm not sure about the idea of
lowering beer consumption though.  I don't think we could convince a number
of our ops that we were serious about emergency preparedness without the
beer.

73, Eric N7CL

Eric Gustafson  N7CL                  | The mountains are high and the Emperor
6730 S. Old Spanish Trail             | is far away.
Tucson, AZ 85747                      |
INTERNET: modular!eric@cs.arizona.edu | You can't work 'em
     CI$: 71750,2133                  | if you can't hear 'em.

From: Dave Curtis <dcurtis@mipos2.intel.com> (Dave Curtis)
Subject: Novice Roundup/New Contest - long

A few days ago  a  thread  got  started  on  the  cq-contest
reflector  suggesting  that  the  Novice  Roundup  might  be
updated to attract new contesters.  Here is  my  attempt  at
designing  a  contest.  It's surely not perfect, so add your
comments!

To the DX on the reflector: sorry this  is  USA-centric.   I
just  don't  know  enough about your conditions to attempt a
world wide version of this.  Add your comments!

73, Dave NG0X
dcurtis@mipos2.intel.com

Goals & Motivation

     The goal of this contest is to attract  more  operators
     to  contesting.  Why? Because the more of us there are,
     the more fun we all have.  I started with  these  prem-
     ises:
     1) Being under a pile-up  is  fun.   You  feel  wanted.
     There is a "rush".
     2) Getting awards is motivating.  Being listed near the
     top of your class is motivating.
     3) Not all ops new to contesting are novices  &  techs.
     In  fact,  a  lot  of  ops  may  have held higher class
     license for years and never jumped in.
     4) The multi-op experience is a lot of fun and a  great
     way to train new contesters.

     The above premises led to these conclusions:
     1) Definition of a "new to  contesting  op"  (NTCO)  is
     critically important and non-trivial.
     2) Make sure NTCO's are the star players.
     3) Provide for lots of award categories for NTCO's.
     4) Encourage Multi-NTCO stations.

Knotty Issues

     In the USA, Novices have only HF, Techs have only  VHF,
     Tech+ has both.  How do you provide for both?

     How do you create a category for the  ops  with  higher
     class  licenses  but  little  contest experience?  What
     counts as "experience"?

     Here's my shot at it.  Comments?

Contest: Hare and Hound

Objective:

     Hares to work  as  many  other  stations  as  possible.
     Hounds to work as many hares as possible.

Contest period:

     24 hours

Bands:

     Novice/Tech+ portions of 80, 40,  15,  and  10  meters.
     All of 6M, 2M, 75cm.

Station classifications:

     A single-op "hare" is one of:
     1) Novice class license holder,
     2) Tech or Tech+ license holder,
     3) Shy Bunny: higher class license holder who  has  not
     operated  in a contest other than Field Day in the last
     three years.

     A multi-op "hare" is a team of two  or  more  operators
     where  at  least  one  half  of  the  team  members are
     Novices, Techs, Tech+'s, or qualify as "Shy Bunnies".

     A "hound" is any other station.

Station Identification

     Hares sign /H on CW or "hare" on phone.

Exchange

     Exchange ARRL section on HF, grid square on VHF.

QSO points

     2 points per CW contact. 1  point  per  phone  contact.
     Work  stations  once  per  band/mode.  For hounds, only
     contacts with hares count.  Hares may work anyone.

Multipliers

     Only contacts with hares count as multipliers.  For  HF
     contacts,  multipliers are ARRL sections.  For VHF con-
     tacts, multipliers  are  grid  squares.   In  addition,
     hares  only  may count DXCC countries as multipliers on
     HF, except for those countries that are also ARRL  sec-
     tions.

Score

     HF QSO points * HF multipliers + VHF QSO points  *  VHF
     multipliers.

Award categories:

 SO Novices (HF only)
 SO Techs (VHF only)
 SO Tech+ (combined HF/VHF score)
 SO Shy Bunny (HF only)
 SO Shy Bunny (VHF only)
 SO Shy Bunny (combined)
 Multi-op (combined)
 Multi-op (combined) 100% "hare" operators
 Domestic hounds (combined)
 DX hounds (combined)

Note that the contest has these features:

     a) Lots  of  awards  for  the  new  operators  -  eight
     categories!

     b) Pileups on /H stations guaranteed since they are the
     only multipliers.

     c)  Inexperienced  contest  operators  have  their  own
     category,  no  matter how long they have been licensed.
     The reason for not counting FD in the "shy bunny"  rule
     is  to  continue to capitalize on FD as a way to intro-
     duce people to contesting. They can get a taste  at  FD
     and  and  then try the Hare and Hound as a next step in
     contesting.

     d) Multi-op operator mix of 1/2 new ops and 1/2 experi-
     enced  ops is designed to create opportunities for men-
     toring.  Wouldn't it be great  if  every  big-time  M/M
     station  was  recruiting new operators for this contest
     every year?  How can we encourage that?

From: Steve Harrison <sharriso@sysplan.com> (Steve Harrison)

On Fri, 3 Jun 1994 DEVANS@lynx.colorado.edu wrote:

> >We had a discussion going at KY1H during the contest about this. Someone
> >(NCN, was it you?) said that you can't do that if you're from the
> >continental 48 to begin with, but foreign (DXCC-wise) you can, so that
> >KH6XYZ/NQ3 or G0XYZ/NQ3 is allowed, but W2UP/NQ3 isn't.
> >We weren't sure, though. I'd like to know if there's a definitive
> >answer to this, too....
> >

> Back when I was G4AMJ/W0, the reciprocal rules stated that you had to use
> the modifier "W". As I recollect, this was not written on the permit itself,
> but somewhere quite different, like in the overall licensing agreement
> between the US and the UK. (I don't remember details.) But I am positive
> about the "W" requirement. These days I know that the W goes in front, but I
> doubt that the requirement for it to be "W" has not changed.
>
> K1ZX, maybe you can ask that 'BKI fellow.

Doc is correct, I now remember. The reciprocal agreement between the
United States and, I bet, all other countries probably stipulates that
the reciprocee sign W0/G4AMJ.

How has this thread managed to continue without someone from the ARRL
bringing the actual regulation to our attention?

73, Steve KO0U/4 <sharrison@sysplan.com>> >