CQ-Contest

Contesting video?

Subject: Contesting video?
From: W5XD@delphi.com (W5XD@delphi.com)
Date: Sun Jul 3 20:38:57 1994
Does anyone know of a short introductory video tape about contesting
and/or DXing that would be useful as an attention-getter at a ham fest?
I'm thinking of something that could be left running in a continuous
loop at an unmanned display.

Please reply to me directly: w5xd@delphi.com

Thanks,
Wayne, W5XD

From: Jim Reisert AD1C  04-Jul-1994 1204 <reisert@wrksys.enet.dec.com> (Jim
Reisert AD1C 04-Jul-1994 1204)
Subject: Help upgrading FT-757GX ROM?

Bill, K1JKS asks this question:

I would like to upgrade the FT-757GX microprocessor to the type used in the
FT-890, FT-990 and FT-1000.  Has anyone successfully installed the new
processor in the 757? The 757 microprocessor command sets are nearly
identical except that the 757 does not report its frequency.  The capability
to report its frequency would allow full interface with CT Version 9.

A phone call to Yaesu in Cerritos, CA was no help.

------

I can relay answers to Bill on Packet.

73 - Jim AD1C
reisert@mlo.dec.com

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@unbc.edu> (Lyndon Nerenberg)
Subject: Canada Day

> Curious how many Canadian stations in the contest stayed below 14150!

Are you kidding? :-)  We would pop down to 14.145 or so and run the VE
stations dry (mostly to get the multipliers) then jump back up to
165/171/195 and run the W's. As long as the Q rate was five times higher
working the W's the bottom line score stays the same. This wasn't hard to do.
The lack of CW operation was disappointing.

Highlight of the weekend: getting *called* by P40WL :-)

Propogation was not great. We did about 680 Q's on 20, and another 250 or
so combined between 80 and 40. 15 didn't open for us. I'll post the
VE7ZZZ score in a couple of days.

--lyndon

From: ken.silverman@atlas.ccmail.AirTouch.COM (ken silverman) (ken silverman)
Subject: Enameled Radial Wire

I just picked up 10,000' of double teflon sheilded #18 wire for the radials of
our next contest vertical from some warm island QTH.  Though cheap, it did not
come without a price:  the stranded wires are coated with enamel (like magnet
wire).

Are there any easy ways to remove the enamel coating?  Using steel wool takes
too long, and killed my hands - is there a chemical solution?

Thanks in advance,

Ken WM2C

Pse send replies directly to me at ken.silverman@atlas.ccmail.airtouch.com.

I will post a summary if there is interest.