CQ-Contest

Please Don't Use Expired Calls

Subject: Please Don't Use Expired Calls
From: aa4ga@contesting.com (Lee Hiers AA4GA)
Date: Wed Oct 16 00:35:38 1996
On 15 Oct 96, Jim Pratt wrote:

> Yes, I have noticed that phenomenon as well.  During the last California
> QSO Party, there seemed to be a number of calls coming to me from K7RA,
> who has been dead for some years.  There was also an odd correlation with

Well, I've had to tell less experienced ops (say, at FD) not to log
W4KFC because he's a SK, but as we all know, W4KFC is a legit call
again.  So, while K7RA has not yet been reissued, it will be at some
point, as will all the SK calls we've known in the past to avoid.

FWIW, I don't think anyone on the reflector needs to be reminded not
to use a former call that is not currently assigned.  Anyone engaged
in such a practice already realizes it is improper, particularly
those of us on CQ-Contest.

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, GA

From: ATHSU@mca.com (Hsu, Aaron T.) (Hsu, Aaron T.)
Subject: Thanks to all re:JST-245 opinions

Thanks to all who responded to my request for info on the JST-245 as a
possible replacement rig for my TS-450S.  Your replies were quite
helpful.

Although the rig is feature loaded and is/would be a joy to operate,
long-term support seems to be an issue.  It's already hard enough
getting long-term support from the major manufacturers (YaeComWood), let
alone a rig with only 2 U.S. authorized dealers.  I guess I'll just have
to keep searching!

  - Aaron Hsu, KD6DAE
    athsu@mca.com

ps.  A consolidated copy of replies I received was sent to those who
asked for one.  If you want a copy, e-mail me and I'll send one to ya!

From: AD1C@tiac.net (Jim Reisert AD1C) (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Subject: Section DAT files for CT (added NNY)

NNY will be a new section in this year's Sweepstakes.  You may need new
.DAT files, the three that were affected are:

        ar160.dat
        fd.dat
        sec.dat

They (or the entire .DAT file collection) can be downloaded from:

        ftp://boss.databook.com/AD1C/ct-dat.zip

Or send E-mail to ct-user-REQUEST@databook.com and request only the files
you need:

        GET ct-dat.uue
        GET ar160.dat
        GET fd.dat
        GET sec.dat

The first command will send all the .DAT files in a UUencoded .ZIP file.

Note that I announced this update last May.  If you got the files then,
these are the same files.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert <AD1C@tiac.net>                    http://www.tiac.net/users/ad1c/

From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid) (Jim Reid)
Subject: Used FT-1000D

You guys are just great;  I have probably nearly two dozen
notes regarding my question of comparison between the
FT-1000D and 1000MP.  The vote is very heavy in favor
of the used D over a new MP,  at least for my situation out
here near mid-Pacific.

However,  a somewhat more detailed discussion with one who
seems to know more than I for sure about these radios has o
pointed out the following in a post to me:

Concerning the   age   and    serial number of this 1000D.
It is a 1991or '92 production lot with a 1M1901xx  serial series
number.  I  have been told that many, many factory changes
have occured,  and that the -20- series serial numbers,  especially
those with the numbers after the date codes( xx)20200 and up are
really different radios from the -19- serial ones!!?  Not sure
quite what to make of that.  The owner who is selling the radio
has had all factory installed upgrades to the -19- series done,  as
of Feb. 1996,  but am told this still does not equal a -20- series
radio. This occurs as,  for a variety of reasons,  changes occur
at the factory that never make it into documented mods to be
performed by the Yaesu service centers when asked about the
world.  Do you have any comments about this information?

On the basis of the interest shown so far,  I plan to post a
summary of all this later this week.

73, Jim, AH6NB

From: WX0B-JTERLESKI@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Jay Terleski) (Jay Terleski)
Subject: CT9 and FT1000 Help Request

Asking help from the wisdom of this great reflector.

I am trying to get a new FT1000D SN 41400131 (dont know rev of ROM) But
this is supposed to be new about a year ago to interface to CT9.27.

I keep getting a radio not responding lock up message from CT. Things
then move very very slow.  I have baud set at 4800, the TSRs are running
perfectly, CT.cfg seems to be set up correctly but still not able to get
it to talk to CT.

I dont know how to reset the radio.  I cant find it in the manual so
maybe someone can help me there.

The thing does talk to TR I might add.  So I think its my own error in
setting it up.

Ideas?

Jay

From: n6nd@n6nd.wanet.com (Rick Craig, N6ND) (Rick Craig, N6ND)
Subject: LogPlus Internet Special

If you are considering buying a non-contest logging program to keep track of
your DXCC, WAZ, WAS, etc  LogPlus is having a special this month that can save
you $15 off the regular price.  If the entire transaction is done over the
internet, $38 gets you a great logger.  Check out the deal at

http://www.everett.com/users/logplus/

Usual disclaimer: No interest, no kickback, just info...

73 Rick

Rick Craig, N6ND
n6nd@n6nd.wanet.com
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
from magic. -Clarke's Third Law

From: edwardsw@bga.com (William M. Edwards) (William M. Edwards)
Subject: Fwd: SS rover thread that wont go away

Since I started this mess about passing through ARRL sections during a
contest, I must comment, especially if contradictory information is being
passed out.

A couple of days ago, Bill Lunt, KR1R, the ARRL Contest Director stated
that you may operate from as many ARRL sections as you wish. The only
constraint is you start your QSO numbering back at #1 when you cross a
section boundary.

Now W6PH says something totally different. Where does this information come
from? My info is from the League.

W6PH, can you explain where you found your interpretation of the rules?

de KN5H

The problem stems from the fact that ARRL's intentions don't correspond
with their rules, which are stated quite explicitly.  (Several days ago, I
excerpted the relevant part from SS rules file obtainable from the ARRL
server.)

Allowing a roving station is a nice idea, but until ARRL cleans up the rules,
roving stations are going to confuse other operators.

73,
Will Edwards, WA5WZA
edwardsw@bga.com

From: becker@SPRINTMAIL.COM (Tony and Celia Becker) (Tony and Celia Becker)

Hi All!

At 10:15 PM 10/15/96 -0500, Jay Terleski wrote:
>I am trying to get a new FT1000D SN 41400131 (dont know rev of ROM) But
>this is supposed to be new about a year ago to interface to CT9.27.

>I keep getting a radio not responding lock up message from CT.

>The thing does talk to TR I might add.  So I think its my own error in
>setting it up.

Until Ken got busy I was a loyal CT user for years.  It is still unsurpassed
for Multi Single and Multi-Multi operations.

Unfortunately, all releases higher than version 9.23 have not succeeded in
talking to my FT-990.  I know the problem is not unique because Steve, W6EMS,
(ex N4TQO) and several other Multi-Multi associates of mine with FT-990,
FT-1000s and ICOM radios have had similar problems.

Ken has tried, with what little time to spare, to fix it again, but
since he has no FT-990 to test with he has not succeeded.

CT does not support the Sprint type contests, so I had to buy a copy of TRLog
or use paper.  (Yuck)

Tree, N6TR, has had similar problems with his TRLog program with both Yaesu and
ICOM radios.  Tree had no Yaesu either but recently succeeded in solving most
of these problems.  He added a user parameter to control the time delay between
computer commands, and increased the delay from his old default of about 50 ms
to 100 ms.

Since TRLog release 5.80 I have seen no further reports of this kind of trouble
on the TRLog reflector, so this seems to be a general cure.

Can we get such a command added to the next CT release?  We want to use our
Yaesus and ICOMs at the upcoming multi.-multi. and CT is the prefered choice.

Can someone with a logic analyzer and a Radio Timeout problem check out the TX
and RX lines and see if the serial data is getting truncated with CT versions
9.24 - 9.27 ?

BTW, I have found that TRLog is a worthy competitor of CT in all other regards,
and Tree's support is unbelievably good.  Once Tree gets the planned SSB
upgrades in place it will be better.

(Sorry Trey, but the CT-user reflector is down and those contests are coming
closer and closer).
AE0M, Tony Becker - becker@sprintmail.com - Silicon Valley, U.S.A.

From: a92gd@contesting.com (Bob Frick) (Bob Frick)
Subject: A92GD WAS

From: pa3dmh@igr.nl (Alex van Hengel) (Alex van Hengel)
Subject: 1996 Caribbean Tour Statistics

For those who asked for it.........

The 1996 Caribbean Tour Statistics are available at the Tour Website:

                http://www.igr.nl/~pa3dmh/tour1996.htm

73'  Alex
--
       /////\\
       ( # # )

Secretary Contestgroup Oude Maas PI4COM/PA6WPX

Homepage PI4COM : http://www.euronet.nl/users/norf/pi4com.html
1996 Carib Tour : http://www.igr.nl/~pa3dmh/tour1996.htm
Internet e-mail : pa3dmh@igr.nl

From: dippel@rrze.uni-erlangen.de (Dieter Dippel) (Dieter Dippel)
Subject: CQWWDX SSB: Packet-infos

DL4NAC > CONTEST  16.10.96 00:00 18 Lines 280 Bytes #360 @WW
Subj: CT3FN in CQWW Phone 96
de DL4NAC @ DB0BOX.#BAY.DEU.EU   (Martin)
to CONTEST @ WW

QSL via HB9CRV

if you want to work CT3FN check the following frequencies/times:

28450 12 UTC
21350 9 / 15 UTC
14250 11 / 20 UTC
 7050 7.30 / 18 / 21 UTC
 3750 7 / 21.30 UTC
 1850 2 UTC

see you there! 73s de Martin.

DB0KCP > CONTEST  16.10.96 07:00 19 Lines 495 Bytes #360 @WW.#
Subj: 5N36 in CQWW

From: 5N0T@5N0EF.#LAG.NIG.AF
To  : CONTES@WW

Hi to all.

5N0T will sign 5N36T single-op all bands in upcoming CQWW SSB contest.

Special prefix up to 31/10 stands for the 36th anniversary of independance of
the Federal Republic of Nigeria. QSL card as usual via Paul F2YT.

Look forward to have you on the log and wish you best of fun.

Lagos, 10-Oct 96 19:11, 73 de Pat 5N0T

Packet: 5N0T @ 5N0EF.#LAG.NIG.AF AFRICOM BBS
E-mail: Crepelliere.Patrick@ROROLAGOS.WWRORO.ROROLAGOS.gb.sprint.com

TL8MS  > DX       15.10.96 22:36 17 Lines 294 Bytes #360 @WW
Subj: TL8MS in CQWWDX-SSB

TL8MS
Stefan in Baboua

to: DX@WW

TL8MS , Zone 36, taking part in CQWWDX-SSB

This is to inform you that TL8MS will take part in the CQWWDX-Contest-SSB
as single operator mostly on 7, 14, 21 MHz.
QSL-cards via bureau, Manager DL6NW (he is also in every call-book).

73 and good DX
Stefan

WB2RAJ > DX       16.10.96 02:59 9 Lines 317 Bytes #360 @WW
Subj: FK5DX IN CQ WW SSB CONTEST

From: WB2RAJ@KE2VW.#WNY.NY.USA.NOAM
To  : DX@WW

LOOK FOR NEW CALEDONIA SPECIAL CONTEST CALL FK5DX IN THE CQ WW SSB DX CONTEST
ON OCTOBER 26-27.  OPERATORS ERIC (FK8GM) AND FRANCK (FK8HC) WILL OPERATE ON
ALL BANDS, 160-10 METERS, AS CONDITIONS ALLOW.  QSL FOR FK5DX IS DIRECT VIA
WB2RAJ.  GOOD LUCK IN THE CONTEST.
5N0HMA > DX       16.10.96 07:06 21 Lines 764 Bytes #360 @WW.#
Subj: CQ WW from Ikoyi Island

From: 5N0HMA@5N0EF.#LAG.NIG.AF
To  : DX@WW

Hello dear Friend,
Thank you so much for selecting my msg.
My name is Marc, I am 30 years old, french. I have been living in Nigeria
for more than 19 years now. I am working in my own plastic factory.
I would be very please to communicate with you or with some of your
friends, on a regular basis if you or they have time.
I would be very glad to make you discover Nigeria, the Biggest african
country in term of population (100 millions), and the No. 1 producer
of Oil in Africa.
Best 73 from Ikoyi Island in Lagos Nigeria.
tel / fax : 234-1 2693823
5n0hma @ f5joe.faqi.fra.eu
5n0hma @ 5n0ef.#lag.nig.af
NB : Radio club stations from schools and Universities are mostly welcome.
Hope to read you very very soon.
/ack
EA6PZ  > DXNEWS   16.10.96 01:01 27 Lines 960 Bytes #360 @EU
Subj: CP EA6PZ: FORMENTERA ILS.

From: EA6PZ@EA6PZ.EA6PZ.PM.ESP.EU
To  : DXNEWS@EU

Original from EA6PZ to ALL@EU
HELLO DR OM,  IM GOIN FROM  FORMENTERA ISLAND, DAYS  21 AT 25  OCTOBER, QSL IS
ONLY VIA DIRECT:
ARMANDO COSTA SERRA
BOX 800
07800 IBIZA ISL.
SPAIN
THE FREQUENCY ONLY 40 METERS SSB

DAYS 26 AT 27 OCTOBER ACTIVITY CQWW SSB CONTEST, QSL VIA BUREAU OR DIRECT, THE
SPECIAL CALL FROM FORMNETERA AND CONTEST ED6PZ.

            IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM;
            : 111INFO DE DX1111 _   _  _ 111111INFO  DE  DX11:
            : 00000000000000000:_) :_)(_ 00000000000000000000:
            : 111QSL MANAGERS11:_) :_) _)1111111QSL MANAGERS1:
            : 00000000000000MUCHOS DX Y SUERTE000000000000000:
            : 11111111111111BBS PARA LOS DXMAN111111111111111:
            : 000000000000000EA6PZ IBIZA JM08RV00000000000000:
            : 11111111111111ea6pz@lix.intercom.es111111111111:
            HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM<