CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking and deadlines

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking and deadlines
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:22:54 -0600
I have not read this entire thread, so pls no one take any offense to what I am
about to say, however, I dont understand why there
would be any delay in submitting logs in the times we live in.

In the procedure outlined below, I am done within mins of finishing the
contest. Not like it used to be when we had to do them all
by hand using dupe sheets (ARRRGHH) and still get them to the ARRL on time.

I review the log after I am done, then if necessary make changes and resubmit,
which thanks to my N1MM logging software (otherwise
it would have been many more times I am sure).

I have only had to change the file twice in the years since I have been
involved in contesting after being relicensed and this as a
result of my own mistakes.

I figure if I can sit for hours at the rig and computer for a contest, I can
spend another few minutes rapping it up out of respect
for the volunteers who are waiting for the files in order to compile the data
from God knows how many sources.

Procedure:

I am at my computer with N1MM logger open and running while my rig is cooling
down, when the contest finishes.

I immediately export the cabrillo and the ADIF files from N1MM contest logger
to a folder for reference later. I have contest logs,
ADIF files and rules in the folders for contests starting in 2004 when I first
started using N1MM.

 I then go into the help menu, click on the link that takes me to the 3830
website, fill in the info there and click the submit
button. I always send myself a copy of the posting so I can save it in the
contest folders for later reference in order to target my
score from the year before.

I go again to the help menu, click on the link for internet rules for this
contest, download the pdf or bring up the site for the
contest and click on the link in order to submit the cabrillo file the email
pops up automatically, I insert my call sign in the
subject field, import the cabrillo as an attachment and send the email.

Usually before I can close N1MM logger and turn the rig off I have the robots
response that it has received my log.

I am done within minutes after the contest is over, close the station down and
go get a cup of coffee to relax. I am not finished
with the contest until the data is submitted.

I do not use other contest logging software since I have not found it
necessary, but I can not imagine how the others would not have
the same capabilities.

Hope this helps someone.

  73 fer nw es gud DX,
QSL VIA: LotW, BUR, e-QSL
Bob AD5VJ
http://www.ad5vj.com/
Old Calls WB5ZQU, WY5L/KH3, KE5CTY, N5IET
Member:
NTCC, CTDXCC, STXDXCC
10X#-37210, SMIRK#-5177
FISTS#-12637, SKCC#-2369