CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] The Stew Perry is Coming. Are You Ready?

To: "'Eric Gruff'" <eric@e4consult.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Stew Perry is Coming. Are You Ready?
From: "Stephen Bloom" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 17:45:59 -0900
This is how any 160M contest goes from KL7SB ...where the 160M xmit and rcv
antenna is an 80M inverted vee off the tower in an urban area with a high
noise floor

1)  Work KL7RA (sadly no more) and some years KL7KY will be on
2)  Three possible other Qs ...N7GP, N6TR, W7RN ..the only station I
actually heard in ARRL 160M this year was Tree ...and no joy as far as him
hearing me.

One year ....I did somehow manage 41Qs ..I think N2IC in NM was about as
distant as it got (I might have worked a KH6 ..but that's actually the
easiest out of state Q from here).

States worked overall since 2008 ...10 (Minnesota being the most distant)
...Countries ..5 (US, KH6, KL7, VE, and ..for some bizzaro reason ..T88)

Places I will operate Top Band in the future ....anywhere but here.

73
Steve KL7SB

p.s.  I suspect Alaska is gonna be real rare on 160M for awhile.  Rich's
station was in a league of its own for it.  KL7KY is the only station I know
of with good dedicated antennas for the band, and I don't hear him on that
much.  I"ve had occasional thoughts of trying to set up a station in
Ketchikan (which is on an island close to the border with BC) which is
likely the best location for low band propagation to the Lower 48 ...and put
out some feelers to a ham there a couple of years back ..but he didn't seem
real interested.