CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] CQWW and Signal Reports

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW and Signal Reports
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Wed Oct 30 10:57:36 2002
Don't be too sure, Tom. Dunno if it was the same K9
station or not, but I observed the same thing two years ago
in the ARRL phone contest. When I mentioned it on the
reflector on of the operators of that station responed to
me via email and was very concerned that one of their
inexperienced ops might have been running the gain
control on their exciter too high and overdriving their PA.
He was very nice about it.

Unless you are listening to yourself on a second receiver,
you won't be aware of buckshot created in the PA as it
doesn't show up in the TX audio monitor output. A lot
of people are using FT-1000D and FT1000 Mark V's.
Unless you are runnning a Henry 8K (3CX3000) or
some other big tube, it is quite easy to overdrive an
amp with one of these 200W rigs. Overly distorted
audio reduces intelligibility which means fewer QSOs.
If I sounded that bad, I'd want to know about it, so
feel free to bug me if I ever sound that bad.