CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:31:30 -0600
>I am sooooo close to agreeing with this.  Let's get back to one single op
> category and have at it.  If only it was that simple.

Using the comparison of existing SO and SOA scores to conclude "it wouldn't
change the standings much" if the separation of the two categories was
eliminated is a faulty assumption, I think.

The unknown is "what would happen to the scores of operators who currently
don't use packet?"  I know only a few ops who have been at the top of both
groups and I wonder what they say.  In particular I wonder if K6LA and K6LL
would weigh in on this (my personal pals) and anyone else I'm not thinking
of (maybe those two guys have just been more vocal about it than others).

I have never operated SOA.  I have no idea if my score would go up or down
if I attempted to use packet.  My guess is that using packet would possibly
help me work more guys on the 2nd radio faster, hence I think using packet
would raise my score (SS), but that's just a guess.  I imagine it could
really help work new band countries faster in a DX contest, too.

Anyway, I choose to not use packet because I want to be unassisted
(obviously I think using packet is getting assistance).  Really, like Randy,
I wish packet were just not permitted, but I am aware of the increase in
casual activity that has resulted from packet, and I think that also is a
good thing.

Packet's here to stay, but people who use it shouldn't be in the same
category with those who don't.

73 - Mark, N5OT