CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: "Barry" <w2up@comcast.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:57:06 -0700
Hi Barry:

   Well, you might think that Cluster spots have increased my QSO rate
significantly.   Sadly, the opposite appears to be true.

Example:  W2UP spots ZD8Z on 14035.  Suddenly a few hundred have hit 14035
on their packet screen, and everyone lands virtually on the same frequency.
Even with your prolific CW copying skills, Barry,  you might have difficulty
working 200+ hours with everyone calling you on the EXACT SAME FREQUENCY.
Especially if they're all about S5.  Rather, for me at least, the best
pileups are spread about 5 - 10 KHz wide, and those who know my style, do
exactly that, as I'm nibbling on the edges of the pileup.  So everyone
landing on the same packet-spotted frequency are doing themselves, and the
DX operator a great dis-service.

My best ( clock) hour ever on CW was 237, in 1993, well before cluster mania
took off.  In fact, if you  would listen to my tape, you would hear barely a
pileup,  just one or two calling at a time.  Clearly not spotted on packet.
In fact, it was my friend N6AA who educated many of us, back in the 1970's,
that the perfect contest pile-up has ONE station calling at a time.

When you're old and realize your best years on in your rear-view mirror, all
you have left are the memories.  Two that will always be special for me are
(1) my 208 hour from 8P6J in 1982, believed to be the first ever 200 hour in
a contest, and (2) the first ever 5000 QSO's in a one weekend CW contest.
And in 1969, I set the all-time  CW contest  QSO record from ZD8Z with 5704
(as Casey would say, "you can look it up").  But that one doesn't count,
because it was over 88 hours when ARRL DX was two weekends.

And you want "tube rig, bug, and paper log", Barry?

The 1982 8P6J operation was with a Drake TR-7.  The 1993 ZD8Z was a TS-950.
And since you're looking for a tube radio as a standard, my 1969 ZD8Z was a
Collins 32S-3.  I didn't use a computer until 1991.  The 1969 was with a
legal pad, pencil, and eraser.  No bug, but my Hallicrafters HA-1 keyer and
simple paddle.  I did start using a Curtis Memory Keyer in 1972, but  many
years with pen and paper.

Please trust me, no braggadocio is intended in any of the above.  There are
numerous operators far more skilled than I.  Rather, I've been very
fortunate to sometimes be in the right place at the right time.  Nothing
more, nothing less.  Plus a lot of help from my No. 1 Axiom of Life:
"Outlast The Bastards"...............

 I just believe that there are mis-conceptions as to what packet  might add
to one's enjoyment and rates.  That packet adds to instantaneous pileups is
without question, and probably  helps those not inclined to tune their
receiver, and, some DX will work those not seriously in the contest, thusly
adding to the overall number worked.    But reflecting back to what I call
the glory years of contesting,  proud to have called W9IOP, W4KFC, KH6IJ,
W6CF, K0DQ,  N6AA, OH2MM, OH2BH, and too many to name here, my friends and
teachers, it's just galls me to see the diminution of operating skills
because of your "technology marching on"............

  Before too long, your technology will have contesting limited to computers
talking to computers, and the one who wins the contest will undoubtedly have
the best computer skills.  At that point, I'll be staying home, listening to
my 1986 D44BC CQ CW tapes, with a glass of Jack in-hand, and marveling over
the way real operator's could do it.  Please send me a post-card, Barry, and
let me know how it worked out for you, and friends.

Vy 73

Jim Neiger  N6TJ