CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] High Rate Dual Radio CQing

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] High Rate Dual Radio CQing
From: "Stephen Bloom" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 07:35:19 -0900
Kelly:

Agree with all with one additional factor.  For most of us ....dueling pileups
is just something that wouldn't cross our mind.  The best operator out there
...operating from W6 or W4 ...just isn't going to generate pileups ..at least
not for very long.  It would be great to have that skill level ...it would give
one the big advantage of being able to do something with Radio 2 in that first
hour or two of pure running but that would be about it for those of us working
from non rare mults.  One thing I'm learning as I do the travel thing is
...every contest is a completely different cat dependent on where one operates.

It seems to me ...rather than go through all the agita of category shopping
..it's easier to add a couple of extra categories for the guys who aren't
interested in staying at the leading edge.  The "Classic 24 hour" example for
WPX.  Understand that most "cheating" in any category is dependent on self
enforcement.  People don't get caught unless they do something blatant.
Speaking for myself ..  as an example ..I won SOABHP Assist in WW CW last year
for Oceania (from E51), got the cert etc.  Didn't give any thought to it.  I've
always assumed the serious ops would be assisted except for SS.   Were I non
assisted ...I would have been sixth.  No intent on category shopping, I just
didn't realize that in that part of the world, the competition was in
Unassisted.  If I'm back there, I'd go Non Assist so it would be clear how I
compared ...but even without that ...anyone looking at "All scores single
operator" can tell that Assisted doesn't help in that contest from that part of
the world.  No biggie.

73
Steve KL7SB