CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] CW Call Signs ... the SMOOTH & PERFECT ...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW Call Signs ... the SMOOTH & PERFECT ...
From: utahfolk@xmission.com (utahfolk)
Date: Thu May 16 02:31:53 2002
Well with the "dit dit dit" series of egrams on the reflector
I will offer my comments after having callsigns ending
in HS and KK ... for too many decades  ....

Studying the issue I concluded that the best callsign
would be the shortest one that did not end in either
a letter with all dits, a letter with ending in double dits or
a single dah.  That eliminates E I S H D L Z and T as
the final letter of a CW callsign ...

Shortest is a relative term ... the prefix is often chosen
first and the number of the prefix is probably the
most constant choice by a given hamateur.   So,
shortest is then applied to what part of the call is
left over ....

A PERFECT  or SMOOTH call is one in which the ending element of
one letter is the opposite of the beginning element of
the next letter.  Such calls FLOW very smoothly for the
most part and are quite easy to copy .and send. ...

Thus the smooth prefixes are ...

W 1 2 3 4 5
N 6 7 8 9 0
K 1 2 3 4 5
xA 1 2 3 4 5
xB 6 7 8 9 0
... and so forth.

Some of the perfect/smooth calls are ....

K1AR
K1RO
(BTW, the best phoneynetic letters are R and O,
they don't require phonetics !)
K5MA
W1AF
W1AW