CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time for a new cq-contest forum

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time for a new cq-contest forum
From: "Bill Mader" <billamader@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 10:57:23 -0700
First, compliments to Mike, N1EN, for the correct plural version of forum!
He just raised the forum a notch.

Second, I agree with Bill, W5VX.  I too prefer an e-mail format for many of
the reasons already given.

Third, although not part of this topic, thanks to Hans, K0HB, for a
thoroughly funny and entertaining comment which also deserves a lot of
introspection.  Like Mike, NF4L, I too was rolling on the floor!

I don't have time to criticize in a contest, including working dupes.  Being
a new DX chaser I am appalled by the pileup behavior, especially from those
on the Honor Roll!  They often bring the same behavior to DX contests.  I
often drop them a quick e-mail suggesting they review the DX Code of
Conduct.  Their responses cover the entire spectrum, pun intended.

Regarding Ken's, AB1J, comment about racing, I have raced against Bobbie
Unser's son Robbie at an amateur road race in the Albuquerque area.  He and
I were too busy to qualify (he signing autographs and I chairman of the
event) so we started at the back of the Spec Miata group and raced to the
front.  He took first and I second when my engine began to overheat.  Ain't
competition fun?

Thanks to all for your (mostly) insightful comments on this and other
subjects.

73 from New Mexico, Bill, K8TE

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 23:11:34 -0600
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
        format?

I usually like Barry's suggestions but this one I am not on board with. I
absolutely hate getting my e-mail through the internet. I have Microsoft
Outlook set up with several folders and folders so that the email flows
directly into different boxes (including the ones that my wife gets for her
sewing interest). I don't want to have to go to several different web
address to check each one of the different boxes.

I am not going to slit my wrists if we switch but I will certainly be
displeased

Bill W5VX

----------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 13:50:53 +0000
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
        format?

There are a few reasons why I prefer a reflector over a web-forum:

+ It's easier to follow multiple reflectors in an email interface than it is
to via it multiple web sites.

+ Email filtering is generally better than forum filtering

+ Reading email on a phone is pesky. Reading fora on a phone is worse.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 10:47:34 -0500
From: Ktfrog007@aol.com
To: dk8zz@darc.de, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Chosen

There are few competitive events where the "civilians" mix right  in with
the "professionals".  Imagine an auto race where your typical  Ma and Pa
Sunday drivers were out there with the race cars.  But this does  happen in
ham
radio contests and makes for more QSOs.

And, I wonder, are there really so many "please copy" ops put there that
they pose a threat to the elite?

73,
Ken, AB1J