CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] SPRINT Contest Format

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SPRINT Contest Format
From: "Leigh S. Jones, KR6X" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:01:49 -0800
I really never enjoyed the Disney movie series "The Love Bug" very
much.  I suppose my attitude would be different if the actors, directors.
and production qualities were different.  But there's a lot of truth about
competition to be seen in those movies.  Ultimately, Herbie always
wins because he's clearly the fastest car in the race.  Surely he'll use
his unusual skills to overcome the dirty tricks of his competitors,
but in the end he will be seen as overtaking the antagonist with
superior acceleration and speed.

Contesting cannot ever be considered fair if we define fair in terms
that require that natural law be suspended.  The QSY rule may not
achieve the suspension of natural law, but there clearly is a swing
in emphasis to operator skills in lieu of station capability in the Sprint.

Your double-edged sword here is not the format of the contest.  It's
having a weak signal.  If you're weak, you can't generate callers
when you call CQ, and you can't break through the pileups.