CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 and Writelog

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 and Writelog
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 09 Apr 2005 13:23:33 -0500
On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 12:08, VR2BrettGraham wrote:
> So what is it that WRTC participants are having to log that requires
> something other than bog-standard Cabrillo & potentially force
> participants to have to use a logging program that one may have no
> familiarity with?  Has the WRTC Sanctioning Committee sanctioned
> all this?

There is no such thing as standard Cabrillo for contests not
specifically supported by the format.

I just reviewed a quick sample of the logs received for the 2004
Tennessee QSO Party.  A plurality of the logs that appear to be
"Cabrillo" have the callsign of the station worked in the 55th column
and his QTH in the 74th column.

However, I also received logs with the call in the 50th column and the
QTH in the 69th.  And with the call in the 56th and the QTH in the
74th.  Or the 78th.  One log had the call in the 45th column and the QTH
starting in various columns between the 58th and 62nd with no apparent
pattern.

The way the TNQP is scored it really doesn't matter.  But I don't use
the same software the WRTC does.  If they rely on particular pieces of
information being in specific columns, then using the "wrong" program
could easily break the checking process.  Relying on information being
in specific columns is the easiest way to program it.

It might not be a bad idea for more contest sponsors to sit down and
specify a Cabrillo format for their contest, and then encourage software
writers to adhere to their specifications.  IIRC the Wisconsin QSO Party
has done so.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66