CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technique

To: guy_molinari@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technique
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 11:53:26 -0400 (EDT)
A great question and one that has no "fixed" answer.  I can only offer comment
for myself.

First of all, I NEVER use auto CQ.  It keeps me awake in the middle of the
night for one.  Secondly, the timing of SO2R is always changing and an AUTO CQ,
just doesn't fit in my opinion.  I hit F1, when the timing is right...all the
time.  Sometimes the timing is right after someone is showing up on your
frequency.  Sometimes the timing is waiting quite a while during the radio 2
pick-off of a Q.  All the time, I am monitoring the CQ frequency.  There are
times where holding your run frequency is SO Important that you simply cannot
risk losing it to a second radio Q (unless maybe it is a double mult in CQ WW).

The answer to losing your run frequency during SO2R (again in my opinion) is a
combination of the following:

- be aware of this fluid timing by NOT using Auto CQ.
- if someone makes even a "dit" on your run frequency, abandon the second radio
Q and immediately fit F1 (at least twice).  This means the second radio guy is
going "?" and wonders where you went.
- You need to know whether to fight or change on the run frequency "grab".
Know if you are LOUD.  I am pretty loud in EU and I am not going to lose a run
freq battle too much of the time (especially if the grabber knows that he just
jumped on me).  But a few years ago if I didn't get someone to move with a few
tries, I would move.  It is important to know where you stand on this.  Most,
not all, will move if they know that they jumped in and your signal is loud
enough to prevent them from doing a good run.  Keep in mind that the tighter
your filters are the easier this method is.

Have fun.

Ed  N1UR