CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] WPX & activity (Was: intended consequences)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX & activity (Was: intended consequences)
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:37:03 -0800
>Why is the WPX-RTTY 30 hours?

The 30 hour format seems to allow more ops outside the normal "win"
zone to make the top ten if running Europe allows a better score.

In 2011 the top ten claimed for the WPX CW shows only one station
outside of  the MA,NH,CT,NY, PA win zone and that was N2IC who
has an excellent location in NM. If the contest was 30 hours or Steve
was operating in the "win" zone with his skills I would expect his score
would have been higher.

The top ten in the 2011 WPX RTTY with 30 hours has more outside
the zone like TN, OH, AZ, VA.

It is what it is and I doubt there is any rule to fix the win zone advantage
in a fair way but limiting op time to equalize propagation between east
and west seems to help level the field a little.

Half that enter the WPX surveyed want to leave it as is which is good
enough for me, but to hear someone in Connecticut say, "increasing the
original WPX from 30 to 36 hours was a good thing",  I have to ask,
"a good thing for you, sir, or those if us in the west?"

73 Rich KL7RA (Northwest, even worse)