CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Does Dayton hurt the WPX CW Contest?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Does Dayton hurt the WPX CW Contest?
From: W2CE@aol.com (W2CE@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 00:16:58 2001
boundary="part1_17.149aadbb.280e612a_boundary"
Sender: owner-cq-contest@contesting.com

--part1_17.149aadbb.280e612a_boundary

In a message dated 4/17/01 10:59:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w4an@contesting.com writes:

 > So I'm just wondering...  Has the Dayton Hamvention move to the weekend
 > before WPX CW hurt the contest attendance?  Is anyone else missing the WPX
 > who might have otherwise operated because of Dayton?

Just the opposite, WPX activity never went down, but the change from April to
May seems to have had a major effect on Hamvention attendance. First it lost
many DX visitors who stayed over from Visalia and also many people didn't
follow the schedule change.

Last year was a pretty well attended Hamvention, probably very much because
of being a combined ARRL National and 2000 millenium year.

I told myself that the 2000 would be my last but with declining health I am
working on making the 50th Hamvention as likely my last. This will be my 23rd
Hamvention since 1979. Unfortunately many friends have writen off this years
Hamvention for other personal events. Others have told me it might be a good
year to take off.

If anything is loosing popularity it is repeat Hamvention visits. The return
of DX and Contest forums to the Arena should make things nicer than the last
couple of years. I'm looking for maybe some higher interest this year because
of that.

    73, de  Bob Reed, W2CE

    W2CE@aol.com     W2CE@arrl.net