CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] List of WRTC stations / Results/Overspottinganditsimpac

To: CQ CONTEST <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] List of WRTC stations / Results/Overspottinganditsimpact
From: "Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX" <lu5dx@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Don.

I believe no one is even questioning the way logs were adjudicated at all. At
least that was not, nor is,  nor will be my intention.
Those of us who have had the chance to participate in WRTCs as competitors (in
my case WRTC 2000 and 2006) have a very clear picture of the great deal of care
and work the judging team performs to adjudicate the logs.

The originating email about cheerleading was aimed at confirming what Willy
UA9BA communicated in advance of what he was going to do regarding this matter.
Later ,during the contest it was not nice to see S53MM publicly telling
everybody what the call of the S5 team was.

We certainly know you all took all possible precautions to adjudicate the logs.

If I expressed my ideas in the wrong way I sure apologize in advance.

What I mean when I say IMPACT is based on what I was able to listen during the
competition.  Every time a spot occurred for a given station the rate increased
significantly and those nice mini pile ups lasted for at least five minutes.
Then,  they dried up and WRTC stations  continued to work at a good peace, not
at the same as when the packet spot occurred though.

I’m not questioning the results, since the fourteen spots difference that the
top team has over the second and third place runner ups, could have easily been
produced by them going to the right band in the right moment, or because the
changed running frequencies more often, that, I don’t know and certainly is
speculation till logs are made available to the public.

We all know a station must be present in X number of logs to consider it valid,
etc, but still, the IMPACT will still be there. It is not the same for the
teams
to work 150 stations evenly distributed across one hour, because  they work
hard
to achieve that number, than it is to work the same number because you received
extra spots that made your rate climb during certain periods of that particular
hour, giving you more time to focus on working mults for example.

Be sure I was not trying to question the amazing work every one at 2010 WRTC
did.  It just a matter of analyzing if something can be improved for the future
WRTCs. Furthermore, considering how close the top teams came in from each other
in the final standings. To me, the fact that WRTC teams must remain anonymous
is
a great way to eliminate the cheerleading factor in whatever way it may take
place. That would level the playing field even more and I bet it will make the
work of the judging committee a bit easier.

Best 73.

Martin, LU5DX
www.5bits.net/lu5dx
facebook.com/hamradionews