CQ-Contest

REPOST: Beware the DVP!

Subject: REPOST: Beware the DVP!
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Mon Jul 25 14:00:41 1994

By popular demand I am reposting a post made by N6TR two years ago
on the CQ-CONTEST mail reflector.  This post was made just before the
release of the K1EA DVP.  Before this post was made by Tree there
had be alot of talk on the reflector about doing a voice contest
without having to talk much or indeed even at all.  One of the
local contest station owners in my town was so up on this idea
that I felt he did not understand what is really needed to do well
in an ssb contest.  In this post N6TR talks about the idea that
a really great voice contester must put on a "performance" - one
that must change all the time.  I agree with with him.  I have
always felt that one must sound very apealing - you want to
attract people to work - indeed to *want* to work you.

I hope that you enjoy this and it makes you think about ways to
imporve your phone contesting.

-> Sent: Mon Mar 23 18:20.
-> Re:   Beware the DVP!

        The K1EA DVP keyer sounds like a neat piece of hardware.  I think
        we have all dreamed of operating a phone contest without a micro-
        phone.   I doubt many of use will actually do this in  a  serious
        contest, but having it available to handle the routine QSOs  will
        certainly decrease the fatigue factor.  However, there are appear
        to  be  some expectations that I feel are unrealistic  with  this
        device.

        First  off, while the comparison of a live voice to the  recorded
        voice  proves  the hardware is working, this does not  mean  your
        live  voice and the recorded voiced are going to sound  the  same
        during the course of a contest.  There are two major reasons this
        is true.  First, your voice and what you say will change  depend-
        ing  of  your rate and target audience.  The other is  that  your
        voice is going to change during the contest as you use it up.

        You  could create a number of different messages that are  appro-
        priate  for  different times of the contest with  different  rate
        situations, but you may have a hard time predicting the situation
        and how your voice will be sounding ahead of time.

        Is  this important?  Does it matter if people know you are  using
        such  a device?  This is a point that will probably  be  debated,
        but  I  feel that if non contesters can tell you are  using  some
        sort  of prerecorded message, they are less likely to give you  a
        contact.   Most phone contests require you to appeal to a  larger
        audience than just the contesters.  The people at the top of  the
        boxes  all know they are giving a performance during the  contest
        and  it is necessary to lure in the non contesters so  they  will
        help you out.

        Many  of these people are listening to you while doing  something
        else  in  the shack.  They turned on their radio and tuned  in  a
        loud station and are "reading the mail".  Eventually, you need to
        get  the  person to go over to the radio, press  down  their  PTT
        switch and say their callsign.  The most effective way to do this
        is  to make your performance interesting and fun so they want  to
        be a part of it.

        If  they are comfortable listening to you and start feeling  like
        they  know you, and you say something like: "Only 2 hours  to  go
        and I need 200 contacts to break the record", they will  probably
        make an effort to work you.

        I  have operated the California QSO Party a number of times  from
        California.   In 1982, I set a new record mostly because  of  the
        rates I had in the last couple of hours.  I used the technique of
        saying  how  many minutes were left in the contest and  how  many
        QSOs  I  needed.   The response was amazing.  Even  some  of  the
        members of the household came and watched me operate.

        As the contest wears on you, and your voice changes.  This can be
        part of the act.  If you sound like you can barely talk, you  can
        use that to your advantage.  I have had many "sympathy"  contacts
        on Sunday.

        To me, the use of a DVP keyer would eliminate my ability to  draw
        in  non contesters.  I would sterilize my operation to the  point
        that  it  is no longer a human performance.  I  don't  work  many
        phone  contests seriously these days (maybe one or two  a  year),
        but  I do search around for a few hours on Sunday and  help  guys
        out.  I think I would be less likely to work someone using such a
        device.   For some reason I feel insulted if someone is using  it
        to  try to work me.  If he can't take the time to really talk  to
        me,  why should I go to the effort to work him?  I really do  not
        enjoy  working people who are using a CQ tape and then answer  me
        with a totally different voice than the one I heard in the CQ.

        Another issue with this type of operation is the image contesters
        portray to the rest of the amateur community.  Phone contests are
        much  more visible than CW contests.  If you have  ever  listened
        around  20 phone minutes before the sprint starts and compare  it
        to  what  is happening 5 minutes into the contest, you  may  feel
        ashamed to call yourself a contester.  I am not sure what  effect
        universal  use of the DVP device would have on this image, but  I
        am  afraid it would not be good.  If people catch on to the  fact
        that  we  are calling CQ over and over again by just  pressing  a
        button,  I would have a hard time feeling that their use  of  the
        frequency might not be more worthy.

        I know it is the same thing as punching the button on your memory
        keyer, but the CW bands are not as crowded as the phone bands and
        there  are  not anywhere the number of people  listening  to  us.
        Also,  it is possible to use a memory keyer without anyone  being
        able  to  tell the difference between a live  performance  and  a
        prerecorded  on.  Again, I feel strongly that this is  impossible
        on the second day of the contest unless you keep rerecording your
        messages over as your voice changes, or just never use your  live
        voice.

        The recorded receiver audio feature is another matter.  This  can
        be  used  without any impact to your performance.   This  feature
        alone  may  be worth the money.  I plan to support the  DVP  card
        with my logging program mainly because of this.

        My  point in writing this is to make sure people think about  how
        this  device  will  affect their score in ways they  may  not  of
        before  reading this.  If I have made you think  seriously  about
        some  of the potential downfalls about using this device, then  I
        have achieved my goal.

        Has anyone thought about how to efficiently handle the  multitude
        of stations who call you with just the last two letters of  their
        call?   Boy  I hate phone contests anymore!!  Maybe the  DVP  can
        record "Please whole callsigns only" in 100 different  languages.
        You  could  use  separate transmitters  pointing  into  different
        directions  and  have  it in the appropriate  language  for  each
        different beam heading. Japanese for 300 degrees, Spanish for 150
        degrees and a random language for 30 degrees.

        73
        Tree  N6TR
        tree@cmicro.com

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.

From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)
Subject: UA9BA's defences...

> Who cares if W5WMU has a tremendous antenna farm _and_ runs 43 KW or
> whatever.  It only affects how well he does, not how well I do.  I prefer
> to worry about things that affect how well I do.  Those are the things I
> can take pride in doing something about.

Yep, which reminds me of a famous quotation:

"You should spend less time worrying about other people and more time
worrying about yourself."  -- Mom

--Trey

From: Tim Coad" <Tim_Coad@smtp.esl.com (Tim Coad)
Subject: Grid squares

                       Subject:                               Time:10:42 AM

Being a HF contester who cross-dresses as a VHF'er once in awhile,
I think the idea of grids squares is interesting for several reasons:
1. Sending the grid square in the exchange will be embraced by the camp that
feels the current exchanges are not meaningful. Most of the time you will not
be able to guess someones grid square. I ran a couple of hundred JA's on six
meters one night and was amazed at how many different grids squares were
coming back to me.
2. More Mults. Everybody loves mults.
3. Instead of going by call districts, You might hear DX stations saying
   "Stations in DM grids call now". (Wont matter if you are a 3 living in 4
land.)

As a Note:
I dont think this will "equalize" the coasts however.
There will be more active grids in Europe.
(I never,never use the "E-WORD" unless Im quoting" )

Tim - NU6S

From: Kenneth G. Kopp" <0006485696@mcimail.com (Kenneth G. Kopp)
Subject: CT VER 8.XX scoring

Hello Steve!

Thanks for your response.  Your observations on CT are well taken.
I'm not about to buy Ver 9 for awhile!  There sure have been lots
of critical comments about it on the reflectors!

I plan to put our FD log into my word processor and fix it up that
way.

73! de Ken Kopp/K0PP