CQ-Contest

grid squares

Subject: grid squares
From: al511@freenet.hsc.colorado.edu (Robert Neece)
Date: Fri Jul 29 17:00:18 1994

Several postings have touted grid squares as (a) adding
"meaning" to the contest exchange, and (b) increasing
the challenge of copying the exchange correctly.

Is it far-fetched to imagine that, should use of grid
squares become commonplace in HF contesting, a data
base that correlates callsigns with grid squares would
become available?

With the benefit of such a data base, the task of
copying and logging the grid square would be reduced
to confirming that a particular station did not change
squares since the last revision of the data base.

I recognize that we are a mobile population.  But not mobile
enough to prevent the grid square from eventually becoming
rather perfunctory in the majority of QSOs.

--
73 de Bob, K0KR

From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)

Just to set the record straight, sending a message to cq-contest-request
that says UNSUBSCRIBE will have the same effect as sending one that says
SIGNOFF.

--Trey, WN4KKN/6

From: barry@w2up.wells.com (Barry Kutner) (Barry Kutner)
Subject: Grid Square Thoughts

KR2J@aol.com writes:

> What do you folks think ?
>
> 73,
> Bob Naumann
> KR2J@AOL.com

Bob - While I am not against changing the exchange, I don't like grid
squares. Grid squares are just another meaningless, made-up designator.
Yes, zones are also that way, but there are a lot less of them. If we use
grid squares, then every contest will be like WPX where almost every QSO
is a mult. But, just because the exchange changes, doesn't mean we need
to change the multiplier is determined.
I am in favor of some kind of "real world" data as a mult - such as name,
age, power, year first licensed, etc. No, none of these are original, but
when you work a guy who you've worked 1000 times in one of the "little"
contests that require age or name, don't you sometimes think to yourself,
gee he's pretty good for being so young (or old!), or something along
those lines. Breaks up the monotony a little bit...
73 Barry

--

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Usenet/Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA