CQ-Contest

MFJ-492 Memory Keyer

Subject: MFJ-492 Memory Keyer
From: al434@freenet.carleton.ca (David George)
Date: Fri Aug 26 16:20:30 1994
        I'd appreciate any comments on the MFJ-492 Menu Driven Memory
Keyer.  Also, any opinions on the usefulness of the Memory Expansion Kit
for the keyer.

        Thanks and 73 . . . David

David A. George                            Internet: al434@freenet.carleton.ca
VE3UOL                                   QTH: RR#2, Dunrobin, Ontario, Canada.
Tel: 613-832-8265             --73--               (Nr. Ottawa.  Vry Nr.Carp)

From: George Cutsogeorge <0006354141@mcimail.com> (George Cutsogeorge)
Subject: DX Cluster access help.

My QTH is 75 miles south of the nearest DX Cluster node and is on a
river bank surrounded by hills.  (Node = KO7N, Eugene, OR.)  I hear
nothing from this node.

I am looking for suggestions as to how to access the Cluster.  There
was something in a message today about Internet gateways which looked
interesting.  At present I am able to send and receive messages only
with MCI Mail.  Is there a service with an 800 number that would get
me to the gateway?

I have looked into a fone line with a Eugene number and the cost is
high. ($543 plus $0.08/minute.)

At present I am surveying the surrounding hills for a spot that I
could put some form of digipeater.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, George.  W2VJN

mbx gcutso.mcimail.com

From: JTALENS@fcc.gov> (Talens, Jim  (JTALENS@fcc.gov> (Talens, Jim )
Date: Fri Aug 26 16:20:30 1994
Subject: Power surge protectors

Not all power companies make surge protectors available at the meter,
or anywhere else, at least not to residential customers.  Virginia Power,
for example, says that "the house insulation and wiring are already
protected."  That comes from a first line customer service person,
of course.  I for one am pleased to know that the house insulation is my first
line of defense against an errant lightning bolt.   More useful information
is that for no charge they will gladly turn off power so I can insert my
own surge protection devices.  I think they said something about maybe
turning it back on later....  It has been 19 years now with no protection and
no damage, with my 60 ft. tower the highest metal object within at least a
thousand radial feet.  I suspect that, as an engineer and lawyer, the lightning
god (Zeus?) is offering his version of professional courtesy.  Or maybe he
(she?) just doesn't pick on federal employees....  But I will go the power line
protection route, and I await, among other information, the Joslyn catalog.
Thanks all for contributing....

Jim, N3JT