CQ-Contest

Rhon tower bolts : was bolts and timewave

Subject: Rhon tower bolts : was bolts and timewave
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Fri May 10 23:56:03 1996
Bill Hider writes:

>If you need bolts for a ROHN tower, why not play it safe and get them from a
>ROHN dealer?  They will give you the exact bolts you need.

No need to go to Rhon - they currently ship 25g sections
with SAE 5 grade platted bolts.  You can get these
at the local hardware store.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.  "You don't need an antenna that big to work 40 meters."

From: vanderzande.frank@ic.gc.ca (Vanderzande, Frank: PRG) (Vanderzande, Frank:
PRG)
Subject: NA or SA ?

Trinidad and Tobago - North America or South America ??????

While at VE5RI's WPX-SSB effort, VE6EZ mentioned that he had been to South
America
working in Trinidad and Tobago. I quickly shot back that 9Y4 is not in South
America.
And then the fun began.  We encountered conflicting information.......such
as:

For the "South American" position:
     K1EA-CT  allocates 3 points for high band WPX   9Y4 contacts.
     1991 Radio Amateur Call Book says 9Y4 is "South America - Zone 9"

For the "North American" position:
      Encyclopedia indicated it was a country of  North America
      National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our World (1980) indicates 9Y4 is
a North American country.

If 9Y4 is indeed in North America, it should be a  2 pointer (to/from W/VE)
 since the rules state
"contacts between stations within the North American boundaries are worth
two points
on 28,21 & 14 MHz."  The rules say nothing about zone 9 countries to be
considered as
South America,  therefore the zone designation should not be a factor.

Can anyone explain this discrepancy? It would also be interesting to know
how the 9Y4 logs
are calculated!

     Frank - VE7AV

From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller) (Lee Buller)
Subject: More Amp Summary

Wow.... hold on guys.....

I apologize for the bad grammar and the poor writing in the amp summary.  I
did that on my coffee break, so I was pressed for time.  Please excuse the
AL-82/AL-84 mixup.  Brain buffer dump!

Now then.  These are comments that I have received....not ones that I have
made up.  No.  I am not bashing anyone's favorite amp.  Just reporting what
people are telling me.

I thank you all for the stuff you have sent to me.  I am in the market for a
new amp and the decision is really tough.

Some more comments that I have received:  ("INCOMING.....")

The most overwhelming comments were for the Alphas  Just about any model
will do.  Operators who own one of these amps love them.  (When I started
looking into amps, I was limiting myself to less that $2000, so Alphas were
out of my price range.)

Ten Tec people are somewhat ticked off about my comments, but I was talking
about the Centurion and not the Titan.  Some people have reported arcing in
the Centurion while others have not.  MOst agree that Ten Tec has excellent
repair and replacement service.  That has been their trade mark for years.
The Titan is not in production any more, according to Ten Tec.  They had
trouble selling enough to make it profitable.

Now, the Ameritrons are what is being sold out there in vast quantities.
Why?  Don't know.  I received more comments about the Ameritrons than
anything else.  People who own AL1200 like the amp very much except for the
blower noise.  I have not found one person who didn't like the amp.  The
AL-82 was favorable too, but the issue with that amp is it takes a lot of
drive to get the full 1500 output.  The AL-1200 can be driven to 1500 watts
with a 100 watt transceiver.  I tried to look up the cost of the 3A1200A7
amp and AES has it selling for $665 as a replacement.  Some of the
literature says it costs around $350, but I guess that has been several
years ago.  (These are my comments)  That was an interesting fact!

A lot of people are still in love with the SB-220 and the Drake L4B.

There are a large number of people who like to build amps.  They are pretty
sure that building one is the only way to get what you want on a contest
amp.  See the comments on the reflector.

Well, at least I started a whole new thread on the reflector.

Best Regards to you all....

Lee, K0WA

From: mihry@mail.topher.net (michael d. ihry) (michael d. ihry)
Subject: need part

hello to all

I am in need of a B&W 850-160 for my homebrew amp.
tnx
de AC5CT..mike in tx

From: 0006008716@mcimail.com (Doug Grant) (Doug Grant)
Subject: Dayton Contest Forum

Announcing the 1996 Dayton Hamvention Contest Forum

Saturday, May 18, 1996   1:30 - 5:00 PM  Hara Arena  Room 1

Overview:

Some of the more interesting discussions on the Internet Contest
Reflector in the past year have dealt with the issues related to
single-op/two-radio operation. We have three speakers addressing
this subject.

Another perennially hot topic for contesters is station construction.
We have several speakers discussing station construction in a variety
of locales, from the ultimate city location to an island in the
Caribbean.

There will also be a few surprises and timely announcements for the
contesting communitiy. Come early and get a good seat!

73,

Doug  K1DG
Dayton Contest Forum Organizer/Moderator
--------

Program:

"Switching and filtering in a two-radio station" - Tony Brock-Fisher, K1KP

"Building a two-tower station"  -  Bill Hider, N3RR

"Single-op/two-radio contesting from KS9K"  -  Chad Kurszewski, WE9V

"Evolution of an effective mid-sized contest station: W1CW, Seffner, FL
                     -  Jim White, K1ZX

"We build it every year: PJ1(9)B  -  Ed Moody, N3ED

"Single-tower station design" - Steve Morris, K7LXC

"Building a Contest Station in Hong Kong: VS6WO" - Dave Patton, WX3N

"Complete two-radio contest station automation"  -  Jim George, N3BB

See you all there!