CQ-Contest

cw forever?

Subject: cw forever?
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Mon Jul 8 13:38:18 1996

>I think the answer lies in a) better TUs and b) better protocols. You could
>even invent a protocol for totally automated digital contesting. But, if
>you take away too much of the human element in contesting, it ceases to be
>a challenge and therefore fun.
>
>If the goal is simply to move information around, CW doesn't stand a chance
>against well-implemented digital modem techniques.
>
>Bill Coleman, AA4LR, AA96LR      Mail: aa4lr@radio.org

My question is still: if the signal is below the noise, the digital mode
may very well be able to decode it, but how do you know it's there in the
first place? Do you slowly tune up the band, hoping for the TNC to decode
something you can't hear?

I don't have a lot of experience with these modes, mostly with an older
fairly "deaf" RTTY TU.

Zack W9SZ

From: Joe_Wilkowski@mc.xerox.com (Wilkowski,Joe) (Wilkowski,Joe)
Subject: DSP Boxes Summary

Speaking of DSP boxes, I have been waiting for someone to characterize
 Time Waves new 599+ box.  I know that they were not in production as
 late as the Rochester HamFest and I am curious to hear from some one
 who may have had some experience.  In addition, are they now available ?

tnx
/joe k8fc

joe_wilkowski@mc.xerox.com

From: 0005543629@mcimail.com (David & Barbara Leeson) (David & Barbara Leeson)
Subject: WRTC THIS WEEK!

Monday, July 8:  TEAMS ARRIVING AT HOTEL, ICOM PICNIC WEDNESDAY

MEET TEAMS NOW AT HOTEL

Many of the more than 100 foreign contesters and DXers are already arriving
at the Belmont Motel 6 for WRTC 96.  You can go there Monday and Tuesday to
meet them, maybe even take a few on an informal tour of the area sights or
host a small group at an informal lunch or dinner!  Just show up today or
tomorrow at the hotel, wear a call and name badge, and look for WRTC 96
guests in the lobby, the restaurant patio or around the pool.  Many of the
visitors will be on the NCDXC 147.36+ repeater.

ICOM PICNIC WEDNESDAY 3-9 PM AT COYOTE POINT

The first WRTC 96 event, Wednesday, July 10 from 3-9 PM, is the Icom Picnic
at Coyote Point Park, off Highway 101 (Bayshore Freeway) south of San
Francisco Airport.  All the contestants and judges will be there to meet you.
 Tickets are $15 at the gate for charcoal-broiled hamburgers and hot dogs,
Tide House draft beer and soft drinks, ice cream and a once-in-a-lifetime
chance to meet some of the best ham operators from 30 countries around the
world.

Parking at Coyote Point is $4, but you can take the free shuttle bus with
the WRTC teams from the Belmont Motel 6, at the Ralston/Marine World Parkway
exit off Highway 101.  The last shuttle leaves the picnic at 8:45 PM, and the
park closes at 9 PM.

NCCC/HY-GAIN/AEA HOSPITALITY SUITE WEDNESDAY NIGHT

More to say to your new-found friends?  There's a Dayton-style
NCCC/Hy-Gain/AEA Hospitality Suite at the hotel Wednesday evening after the
picnic.  Look for the signs at the hotel.

CONTEST SATURDAY FEATURES CHAMPION OPERATORS

The World Radiosport Team Championship contest will be 1200z, July 13 to
0600z July 14 (5 AM local time Saturday to 11 PM the same day).  The
two-operator teams will be operating Multi-Single using 1X1 calls W6A through
K6Z at comparable 100 Watt tribander and dipole stations on flat terrain on
40-10 meters, CW and SSB.  QSO's will be in the IARU World Championship, so
you would give a report 59906 or 5906.  Work 'em on 40 and 20, then call CQ
for a while on 15 and 10, and the best operators will find you.

COMING EVENTS - MORE INFO TO COME

*Thursday, July 11:  CQ/Cushcraft San Francisco and ARRL/TGV Silicon Valley
bus tours.  You can join the groups at no-host lunch if you wish.

*Thursday, July 11:  Dinner, Shell Oil, Martinez, $20, buses at 4:30 PM.

Saturday, July 13:  5 AM - 11 PM World Championship Contest

Sunday, July 14:  US Tower/Tide House/Give Pizza Chance Pizza & Beer Bust,
Noon - 3, $10, Poolside at the Belmont Motel 6

*Sunday, July 14:  HRO Awards Banquet, 6 PM, Stanford Faculty Club, $35

*Monday, July 15:  Yaesu Napa Winery Tour, 7 AM - 6 PM, $35

* Limited capacity, may be sold out, reservations required, contact Bruce
Sawyer, AA6KX (aa6kx@worldnet.att.net)

73 de Dave, W6QHS

From: n6ip@juno.com (R P WOLBERT) (R P WOLBERT)
Subject: WRTC by Internet

Just because you cannot be here with us at WRTC-96 doesn't mean you can't
"be here"!  The WRTC web page has daily photographs of the people and the
action. Drop by and see for yourself.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/n6ip

Don't forget to get on the air for WRTC/IARU HFWC Saturday.

C U.... 73 de Bob, N6IP

From: 0006627542@mcimail.com (Felipe J. Hernandez) (Felipe J. Hernandez)
Subject: Bertha!

    Well Im writing this message again since the power went off
    while I was writing the previous one, anyways we are in
    path of the eye and reports from KP2 say that is a nasty one
    reports from KP4BZ on the east say that the wind is picking up
    at around 75 mph and still the eye is around 5 hours from here
    My station is probably history by now

    this probably will delay a bit my arrival at WRTC but dont despair
    jeff ill make it... the power is going down any moment so cu

    felipe NP4z

From: wb5b@ix.netcom.com (BOBBY WEBB) (BOBBY WEBB)
Subject: Info required

Vitaly Markhasin wrote:

> I am looking for E-Mail address of "CQ" Magazine and/or
> Steve Bolia N8BJQ - their WPX Contest Director.
> Your help would be very much appreciated.
> Thank you.
> 73! VE6JO
>
> P.S. My E-Mail Address:  MARKV@SNC-LAVALIN.COM
> CQ WPX SITE = http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/n8bjq
N8BJQ e-Mail =  n8bjq @erinet.com
CQ CONTEST SITE = http://www.access.digex.net/~cqmag

GL/73

From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills) (Derek Wills)
Subject: CW on the big screen

        Also check out the ham sending cw in the new movie "Phenomonon"
        staring John Travolta.My girlfriend even spotted the qsl cards
        on the shack wall.  73 Paul AA4ZZ

And many of the shop assistants in BY, where I was recently, still
use an abacus - they work, and the batteries never fail!   Actually,
the clicking noise they make reminds me of manual CW as well.

Derek AA5BT, G3NMX
oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu

From: wlminer@pbsac04.isp.PacBell.COM (wlminer) (wlminer)
Subject: YAGI INSTALLATION

Carlos,

You will get  the best performance from you two meter yagi if it is 40
inches ( half
wave length) or some muliple of a half wave above your HF antennas.

Good luck and good DX
73,  Bill - WG6H
 ----------
From: Carlos Augusto Silveira Pereira
To: CQ-CONTEST

Dear friends,

I am very close to raise my Triband Yagi for 10-15-20 meters, however I have
a question:

 -  I intend to put my 2 meters yagi (11 ele. with vertical polarization) on
the top of the mast. What distance must exist between the triband beam and
the VHF yagi?

Hope to work you all with my new antenna in the next CQWW!!

73,

Carlos - PY1CAS
E-mails: "silver@ax.apc.org" or "csilver@riosoft.softex.br"

From: lew@teleport.com (N7AVK) (N7AVK)
Subject: JA Calling Freq for 2M

   Does anyone on the reflector know of the JA 2M calling frequency for
DX/weak signal? The CQ-VHF test is this weekend and looks like a duct
could occur between West Coast & JA.  You never know......till you try.
   73 and I remain,        Lew

         Lew  Sayre   N7AVK               lew@teleport.com
         P.O.Box  3110                    Fax 503-391-2258
         Salem, Oregon 97302              160M thru 1296MHz