CQ-Contest

RUFZSOUND

Subject: RUFZSOUND
From: rlc@soho.ios.com (rlc@soho.ios.com)
Date: Sat Oct 12 07:27:10 1996
I am running RUFZ via RUFZSOUNd on an IBM Thinkpad with a tiny
speaker.  The Thinkpad emulates a soundblaster.  The problem is that
he volume--on RFZSOUND only--is very low.  I see in some of the
RUFZSOUND test that the "cursor arrows" can raise or lower the
volume.  THere are up/down/left/right arrows in the lower right hand
corner of the Thinkpad keyboard but they don't seem to have any
effect.  Can anyone help me on this?
Bob AA2UV

From: edwardsw@bga.com (William M. Edwards) (William M. Edwards)
Subject: Nov. SS Logger for Warp'ed Users

Hi,

OS/2 Warp (3.0) users, I have made available a native OS/2 November
Sweepstakes Logger.  This is an update to a program I wrote about a year
ago.  You get some basic transceiver control if you have a TS940.
Check it out--it's free!

You can obtain a copy from the following locations:

http://www.bga.com/~edwardsw/SSLog11.zip
ftp://ftp-os2.nmsu.edu/os2/wpsutil/sslog11.zip
ftp://oak.oakland.edu/pub/hamradio/os2/logging/SSLog11.zip
ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/ham/os2/hf-work/sslog11.zip

73,
Will Edwards, WA5WZA
edwardsw@bga.com

From: aa9ax@iglou.com (Steven Sample) (Steven Sample)
Subject: CW SS Logging/M

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 KA5Q@aol.com wrote:

<snip>

> copy the whole time you are mobile on a microcassette tape recorder and then
> transcribe to one of the logging programs.  There are only a few rare

> de Ken / KA6Q/6  soon to be ?6?? or K6KEN

What happened to all those threads about the pros and cons of using taped
logging rather than real-time?  In my opinion, if it's really a "fun" type
mobile entry and you're not knocking anyone else out of awards or
anything, then it's fine because it crates more band activity and gives lots
more
operators another Q.

Could be fun!

Steve / AA9AX

From: aa8u@voyager.net (AA8U) (AA8U)
Subject: East Coast Cluster Access

Hello Fellow Contesters,
Is there a way via internet to monitor the activity on the east coast (FRC,
YCCC  etc.) packet systems? I have heard there are several highly active
clusters and I don't think the dx spots on those systems make it very far west.

The local system here is dx spot deprived most of the time. Sometimes,
during the major dx contests the local system either crashes or the dx spots
show up about 45 minutes late. Maybe I could supplement the info here with
internet....dunno.

Anyone have any good advice? I would like to try single op assisted in cqww
but with most spots being stale, it is not much help. Thanks for the direct
replies.
73,
Bruce
aa8u@voyager.net

From: n4bp@shadow.net (Bob Patten) (Bob Patten)
Subject: N4BP/VP9  October 16-20

        In March of this year, I was fortunate to win the Bermuda Contest.
Fortunate, since the first prize is an all expenses paid trip to Bermuda!
As of now, the airline tickets and VP9 reciprocal license are in hand and
I will depart Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday, October 16.  I'll be bringing
my Kenwood TS-430S and four band vertical along and hope to be on the air
by Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning at the latest.

        On Wednesday through Friday, I'll be running 100 watts output and
will operate at or near 7040, 14060, 21060, and 28060 Kc. for CW
                              14285, 21385, and 28385 Kc. for SSB.

No operation is contemplated for 40M SSB, 80M (either mode) or VHF.

        The QRP A.R.C.I. Fall QSO Party takes place on October 19/20 and I
plan to participate as N4BP/VP9 until I must leave for the airport around
Sunday noon.  During the QSO Party, I will run five watts output and
operate at or near the CW QRP frequencies of 7040, 14060, 21060, and 28060
Kc.  The party starts at 1200Z on Saturday.  The rules are listed in the
major ham publications such as QST and the QRP Quarterly.  ANY CALLS ARE
WELCOMED REGARDLESS OF POWER!

Bob Patten, N4BP

From: n4bp@shadow.net (Bob Patten) (Bob Patten)

From: k5zd@ultranet.com (Randy Thompson) (Randy Thompson)
Subject: CQWW Team Competition

Want to add a little spice to your efforts in the upcoming CQWW =
Contests?  Join a 5 member team entry!

I will again be organizing as many teams as possible for both modes of =
the CQWW.  If you would like to be placed on a team, send me an e-mail =
with the following:

Name:
Your Call:
Call to be used in the contest:
Entry Category*:
Power level:

* Only single operator all band and single operator single band are =
eligible for team competition.  Assisted ops need not apply.

Your e-mail must be received by Sunday October 20 for the Phone contest. =
 By Sunday November 10 for CW.

I will register and announce the final team lists the following day.  =
You will not have to do anything except operate and submit your log.

Randy Thompson, K5ZD

PS - This is a fun thing to do.  Relax and enjoy!

=3D=3D=3D=3D
Randy Thompson                                                           =
                     Amateur Radio Call Sign: K5ZD
E-mail: k5zd@ultranet.com
11 Hollis Street,  Uxbridge, MA 01569
h (508) 278-2355  w (508) 337-6600

From: desmith@Telalink.Net (Doug Smith) (Doug Smith)

At 04:31 PM 10/11/96 EDT, you wrote:
>I'll be operating CW SS from my car. Does anyone have suggestions
>regarding how I might log exchange info without endangering myself or
>other drivers?  Yes, I'll be driving and will be the only one in the car.

I've done this in QSO Parties, ARRL DX, and CQ WW, but never in SS.  In the
other contests, I'd jot down the info without looking at the notebook.
Then, next time I stopped for gas, I'd transcribe the info into the end of
the book in more readable form.  Sorted out the dupes when I got home.  But
with SS's more complicated exchange, the tape recorder suggestion is
probably best.  To save tape, you could wire the recorder to only operate
when you push a button on the paddle or something like that.

Scoring is of course another question, one I'd like to see addressed in
contest rules myself.  One year, I operated ARRL DX while driving from
Atlanta to Madison - 6 states.  Never sent in a log because I couldn't
figure out the right way to do it.  Is it six entries?  Or is it one entry?
(if so, who do I compete with and what do I write on the summary sheet?)

With the sunspots coming back and antenna restrictions rampant, I think
we're going to have more mobiles than ever over the next few years.  This
question is going to come back..

73 Doug
W9WI

Douglas E. Smith  W9WI/4                desmith@Telalink.net
1385 Old Clarksville Pike               (preferred for long files)
Pleasant View, TN  37146-8098 USA              -or-
(615) 746-5205                          72777.3143@compuserve.com
                                        (preferred for time-critical info)