CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] WPX 0-point discussion

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX 0-point discussion
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Sun Apr 13 22:20:22 1997
Charles Young writes:
>However, my thoughts on WPX are:
>
>1. The contest is boring unless you are on the east coast and can run
DX

I just don't get this - I live in Texas and I think the
WPX is a great contest - I enjoy the WPX more than
the ohter DX contests.

>2. The problem is worsened because of the time of year the contest is held.
>Propagation usually sucks for working DX from most of the USA.

For the SSB weekend this is just not true - the contest is
near the equinox and as a result has some of the *BEST*
propagation of the contest year.

>Surely making country to country contacts count for 1 point would do
that.

If country to country contacts were given QSO credit the
contest would change - it would change from a DX contest
into a stateside contest with DX.  Since multipliers only
count once - there would be little incentive to use a band
that was not open to the U.S.

I would like to go back to a 30 hour single op time limit.
When I was just starting out in contesting I thought the
30 hour time limit was DUMB - but then after operating
in the WPX for several years I saw how wonderful it
was to have that added bit of operating stragity.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.            "I'm on a mexican radio"