CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Whither Telrex?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Whither Telrex?
From: KR2Q@worldnet.att.net (Douglas Zwiebel)
Date: Tue Jun 3 20:17:18 1997
Rick Glisson, N4XMX asked about Telrex...

Maybe 1/2 a dozen years ago (can't remember exactly), a group
of NJ hams (including me) went to Telrex to enter into negotiations
to buy the company.

It wasn't much.  It was NOT located in Asbury Park, but in Neptune, NJ.
It was old, dirty, with little stock and outdated machinery.  Basically,
all it had was the remnants of it's former good name.  Charlie (the
then owner) was the son of the original owner/creator.  Apparently
Telrex made their fortune in the TV antenna market, making all those
homeowners of the 1950's part of the TV world.  The Big Berthas were
farmed out, as were the rotators.  About the only thing "interesting"
there was the machine to "swage-taper" the element and it looked like
it would fail any OSHA inspection.  There was a small amount of aluminum
tube stock on the shelves.  There was ONE employee, part time at that.

As anyone who had dealt with Telrex can remember, Charlie (IHMO) had
single-handedly been the worst PR rep a company could ever have, and did
more to damage the Telrex name and reputation than could be imagined.

In the end, we figured that all Telrex had going for it was the HISTORY
of a good name, which might have been able to be revived.  But the price
for JUST A NAME was too much.  I know that Telrex had some IRS problems
as well.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the front doors were locked,
and they simply walked away.  If any hams in the Neptune NJ area are so
motivated, it would be interesting to see what, if anything, still remains
on the corner lot.

de Doug  KR2Q

Hope this posting wasn't too far afield for CONTESTING, but I know that
there are still many Telrex antennas out there.