CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Re: K3ZO on QSL'ing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: K3ZO on QSL'ing
From: k4nr@mindspring.com (Tom Branch)
Date: Tue Feb 17 23:30:37 1998
> What if the person receiving the SASE has no QSL cards to send in reply
> because he has no interest in QSLing?? Is he still in the wrong?? After
> all, your SASE was sent unsolicited. According to US Postal Regulations
> governing unsolicited material, he can keep it and do with it as he
> wishes.

Anthony,

First of all, I find it hard to believe that any of the major contest
stations do not have any QSL cards.

Second, even if the law allows him/her to keep the SASE and use the
envelope and stamp for his/her own use--does that make it ethical to do so?
Is it in keeping with amateur radio traditions? I think not.

If the other station refuses to QSL, send my SASE back empty--at least I'll
know what type of person I'm dealing with. Is the effort required to seal
my envelope and send it back to me is too much work for someone who can sit
and work 2000-3000 QSOs over 48 hours?

Have you forgotten that it's the small stations looking to work new
states/countries that makes contesting work?  What happens when every
contest station quits QSLing? Do you think you'll have as many stations to
work?  Again, I think not.

Let's hope "legalistic" attitudes like yours are in the minority.

73 de Tom, K4NR