CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Power Inverters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Power Inverters
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Mon Jan 8 17:12:52 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:02:07 -0600 "Georgens, Tom" <tgeorgen@lsil.com>
writes:

 >I have seen these relatively = cheap inverters in stores
 > such as
 > Circuit City that claim 300 or 500 = Watts output at 110V.  Since I
 > have an
 > automobile handy that is = sure to start and already has gasoline, I
 > was
 > wondering if anybody out = there has a judgement as to the
 > suitability of
 > these devices.  I = figure that, in the event of a short power
 > outage, I
 > can continue to = run at exciter power off an automobile and one of
 > these =
 > inverters.

I bought a 300W unit on sale at Target for about $30. It produces a
loud buzzing sound throughout the RF spectrum. I kept it, because
I figure it will be good enough to check into an emergency net on
75 meters, but I wouldn't consider using it in a contest to
receive weak signals. I think there are some expensive ones
available that produce a true sine wave. That type should be ok.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com