CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Use of callbooks

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Use of callbooks
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:39:03 -0700
Recently, I have seen a few logs where it was obvious that a callbook or
other similar method of determining exchange information was being used.

I felt it was probably a good idea to make a post and remind everyone
that this procedure is frowned upon by competitive contesters.

For example, I know a several stations who used names or QTHs that were
different than their normal ones in the recent sprint contest - and one
of the more interesting ones was a QSO with K1DG.  Instead of using Doug,
the name John was used.  Well - wouldn't you know it, but nobody fell for
this - and had John correctly in their log - except one person who had
his name as "Norm".  This might not make any sense at all, until you check
out K1DG's callbook listing:

GRANT, NORMAN D
144 KENDALL POND RD
WINDHAM NH, 03087

Another log in the February CW Sprint had many busted callsigns in the log,

In one case, the callsign KU8E was busted as KW6E - and the QSO showed
up like this (critical information deleted to protect the identify of the
person involved):

QSO:  7000 CW 2005-02-13 nnnn xxxx   xxx xxx xx  KW6E xxx RICH CA

Now - we all know that KU8E's name is Jeff, and he confuses even me by being
in Georgia (yes - I did lose some QSOs from him just after he made that move).

So - where did Rich and CA come from?

KW6E
SIMMONS, RICHARD A
514 N BEVERLY DR
BEVERLY HILLS CA, 90210

I wonder if that is the same Richard Simmons on TV?

While there aren't very many people doing this - we should all remind ourselves
and anyone else who is new to the game, that this isn't what contesting is
about.

The purpose of the contest is to see how many people you can work during the
contest
and get as much of the informaion you hear in your headphones (or see on the
packet
screen) correctly entered into your log.

And yes - I am being sarcastic about the packet screen.  Of course, when one
person
makes a mistake and spots an incorrect callsign - and it starts showing up in
other
logs - it isn't too hard to figure out what is going on.

Anyone work 5C8N in their CQ WW CW log?

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net