CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 IARU observations from IK2DZN - LOW POWER

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 IARU observations from IK2DZN - LOW POWER
From: "Buck - N4PGW" <n4pgw-list2@towncorp.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:53:58 -0400
I got lucky.  One of the HQ stations disappeared while trying to get my call
information.  I took advantage of the situation and called QRZ on the
frequency to pick up contacts.  It was the best run I had.  Another station
asked if the frequency was in use, he was S-9 but didn't seem to hear me
answer unless he just did it on purpose to steal the spot.  He wasn't an HQ,
but I was out of business and had already contacted his station earlier.

I would love to have had a spot for my station to call CQ from.

I saw one contest that requires stations to give up a frequency every time
they make a contact after a CQ.  IARU and other contests would make for a
better balance if they had this same requirement.  Just for a note, I
noticed that the first stations to start calling CQ contest did so a full
minute before the contest started.  They were there on the same frequency
until the last minute.  I guess the time could have been off, after all WWV
isn't always accepted as being the standard.

Regardless, I loved the contest.  I worked it with a  dipole in which one
end fell and the other is wrapped up in the tree branches, and ran only 100
watts.  Next year, I hope to have a better antenna system.

73 until the next contest...
N4PGW
Buck