CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] K3 initial comments

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] K3 initial comments
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 07:27:15 -0700
As part of the Elecraft K3 beta test team, I thought I should give the
contesting community some initial impressions of the radio.  I am testing
serial number 013 (although the serial number tag is still at Elecraft)
and it was one of the first units shipped with the 100 W (actually 120W)
module installed.  I do not work for Elecraft, but was invited to be a
beta tester.  I have had the radio for two days now.

You can see the datasheet for the radio at the Elecraft web site.

www.elecraft.com

Simply put - this is a great radio.  I can't wait to get a second one so I
can fully move my SO2R station over to them.

A few years ago, I was hoping that the K2 would be that radio, but there
were a couple of minor issues that kept me from really being comfortable
with that radio in a CW Sprint.  However, these issues are fully addressed
in the K3 - and the radio has grown up to be a world class unit that will
rival everything else on the market.

Soon - there will be numbers published to back up some of my impressions,
but slipping on the headphones and listening to this radio has been very
enjoyable.

I will be taking this up to KL7RA's QTH for the IARU contest.   I will
follow this up with more details on my observations after that.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net