CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Fwd: K3 initial comments

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: K3 initial comments
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:41:39 -0400

N6XI wrote:

 >I, too, have been concerned about button/knob size and spacing. However, it
appears not to be a problem. I am running the K3 in an SO2R configuration
with an FT-1000MP and comparing the two closely. The two dual-concentric
knobs are actually a little larger than those on the MP. The selectivity
knobs are slightly closer together than the 4-knob cluster on the right-hand
side of the MP panel (DSP, notch, RIT) but they are single controls
(encoders), not dual-concentric, and very easy to manipulate. Button spacing
is more than adequate, wider in fact than the VFO/memory control buttons on
the MP. The only area where interference has bothered me is in the lower
left-hand corner where the gain controls are located next to the front panel
mic and phones jacks. This problem disappeared when I installed appropriate
cabling adapters so I could plug into the rear panel mic and phones jacks.
The contesters on the advisory group pushed for these rear panel "redundant"
connectors and they do their job well - no cables wrapping around the radio
and plugging into the front. The flywheel main tuning knob is luscious,
slightly smaller and much smoother than the one on the MP. The sub-receiver
tuning knob is much smaller than the one on the MP but it's all alone in its
portion of the panel and easy to use as a VFO B dial. (I don't have the
sub-receiver yet.) My only complaint about the panel is that I'd like a few
more buttons, but Elecraft is providing user-programmable buttons which will
fill the bill, albeit with generic "PFn" labels.

         I found it helpful to look at high res pictures
of the two rigs while reading Rick's comments above
(click "+" on the cursor for even greater resolution:

K3:       http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3_big_v2.jpg
FG-2000:  http://www.foxtango.org/FT-2000/Images/FT2000l.jpg

It seems very clear to me that a lot of thought went into the
types and positioning of K3 controls.  For example I see that
RF Gain and AF Gain are on the innermost part of two separate
concentric knobs rather than both being on the same control (as
on the TS-930S, MP and FT-2000).  This makes sense to me since
these are likely two of the most often adjusted knobs for my
style of operating.  One of my gripes about Orion was that RF
Gain was not directly accessible on a dedicated knob
(i.e. you had to shift focus to that control and then
use the Multi knob...a 2-step process instead of one).

         I fully expect to see more pleasant ergonomic
surprises once I get my hands on my K3...after all,
much input into the design of this rig came from the
contest community (N6TR, N6XI, W0YK, etc).  I also
believe there will be nothing in the same class for
RX performance except possibly Orion.  I've posted
this previously but here are two hints from Elecraft:

1.  N6KR: "But just to give you a hint:  a couple of days ago Eric measured a
blocking dynamic range of 143 dB, and it remained 143 dB at 20 kHz, 5
kHz, and 2 kHz.

To put this into perspective, the K2, IC-7800, Orion II, and FTDX9000
all have a blocking dynamic range of -133 to -135.

We can't directly extrapolate to IMDDR3, but suffice to say it will be
excellent."

2.  WA6HHQ: "As an example, we're seeing third order IMD D.R. numbers on
20M at 20 kHz spacings in excess of 104 dB and 97 dB at 5 kHz with the
400 Hz filter ahead of the DSP.  These numbers are much worse if you do
not use a narrow crystal filter (400 Hz used for this test) ahead of the
DSP.  (de W4ZV - Orion II has ~95 dB IMD at 5 kHz spacing).