CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Simple solution to address CQ WW CW problems

To: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Simple solution to address CQ WW CW problems
From: Andy Blank <n2nt@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:42:49 -0500
At 01:49 PM 12/13/2007, Scott Robbins wrote:

>Require anyone with a potential top 5 category placement to submit a recording
>of all 48 hours of the contest effort along with their log.
>
>Clicking packet spots unassisted?  Easy to spot.
>
>More than one TX signal at the same time?  Easy to spot.
>
>2nd op at another QTH working mults for you during the
>contest?  Easy to spot.

Great idea Scott!
Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.
This is one of the best ideas I've heard, and would love to see it.

Of course, it would be fought every step of the way.
There are lots of stations/ops that simply cannot do it.
Some don't know how, some don't have the extra components necessary.

At WRTC in PY, it was required to tape the contest. At first the
actual teams were supposed to do it.
Then after an outcry, it was asked that the referees do it. It was
too much of a burden for some teams to bring the extra equipment.
Our team tried but failed to get the tape working. The laptop used
for recording was overloaded with RF problems. No amount of ferrite
helped, and we ran out of time.
I suspect many stations will have this problem at first if required
to tape the WW or any contest.

But progress is progress. We are all hams, and should be able to
overcome such minor technical problems.
I would be all for this, as it would eliminate an entire layer of
cheating issues.

I wish I had taped the last CQWW from V47NT. Running DOS computers,
there was no way to do it.
Not for any other reason than I would love to hear what some of my
hours sounded like.
And also, to hear the gibberish I was sending when I fell asleep at
the key :-).

If you are a competitive station, and have a tape available; it would
answer any questions the committee might have. And anyone else for that matter.

73,
Andy N2NT