CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Moments in contesting history - KV4AA

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Moments in contesting history - KV4AA
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:13:12 -0800
W5UN mentioned KV4AA:

> I recall that Dick, KV4AA, held some yearly QSO record in the Guiness
> Book of Records.

I remember back in the early 1970s - operating a CD Party from Dick Norton's
(then W6DGH - now N6AA).  One of the fun things about this contest was you
could work new guys on each of the bands.  Most of us saved 15 meters until
Sunday morning - and some of the rates were really good.  Who can remember
K1XA opening the band with his quad?

Later in the afternoon - things would slow down and it would be a good time
to take some offtime.

It was also "KV4AA time".

To work KV4AA in the CD party - you had to follow a procedure.  You would
go up around 14080 - or a little above - find a clear frquency - and call
Dick.  If you were lucky - he would be there and respond to your call and
you could put him into the log (I forget what appointment he had).

I remember doing this at least once and putting the rare KV4 multiplier in
the log.

Tree N6TR (then known as WB6ZVC - ORS LA)