CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Log checking and deadlines

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Log checking and deadlines
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:38:50 -0800
One of the frustrating things I have experienced working as a log checker
for a number of contests is how late some of the competitive logs are
submitted.

There are always some logs - and typically that are from the same guys -
that show up very close to the end of the log checking deadline.  Of
course, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to name names...  but they know
who they are.

Why are these logs always submitted four weeks after the contest (or even
longer)?  Most of these people put their score up on 3830 (although some of
them don't even do that - thinking that secrecy is a big deal).

There is no doubt that some of these people are taking time to cleanse their
log - perhaps checking callsigns against some database - making sure their
received exchanges match the 3830 postings - checking the call book - who
knows what else....  this is NOT contesting.  This is something else that
happens after the contest.

It just doesn't seem fair when the majority of the serious competitors
submit their logs the day after the contest - and a small number of people
feel it is necessary to send theirs in the day before the deadline.

I will always have more respect for those guys who send in their log without
delay.  For the CQ 160 CW contest - I have about 1400 logs already and a
significant portion of the log checking activities have already started.
Forty percent of my log is being cross checked now.

I propose that the log submission date be something that gets posted along
with the top scores.  Again, sunshine is the best disinfectant.  Also, maybe
shorter log deadlines would help - although I hate to be punishing those
who have legitimate reasons for submitting later.

BTW - whenever I have a small decision to make that might somehow give an
advantage to logs submitted early - and the answer cold go either way, I
always bias my decision towards that direction.

73 Tree N6TR