CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days

To: doug smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>, CQ-Contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days
From: W6SX Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:10:54 -0700
At 03:57 PM 8/30/2009, doug smith, W9WI wrote:

>The thing is, the number of prefixes, especially for U.S. stations,
>has skyrocketed.  I recall dealing with W, K, WA, WB, WD, and N
>prefixes, and just beginning to have to find a way to deal with AA.
>All Canadians were still VE -- no VA prefixes. (except the occasional
>special-event station)  DX stations already had a fair number of
>"weird" prefixes, but not nearly as many as we see today.

Piece of cake.  Make a twenty-six by ten dupe sheet.  Enter the
complete call based on number and first letter after the number.  For
calls with two numbers, use the second number.  Much easier than
trying to come up with a circle/square/? scheme for various
prefixes.  Works for domestic and DX contests and contests with
both.  The neat thing was that, with complete calls entered, it was
much easier to see and recognize a dupe.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light