CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Is anyone else pissed off...

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is anyone else pissed off...
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 08:25:36 -0700
     Most hotel chains now offer rooms at a slightly lower "advanced
purchase" price.  When you choose advanced purchase, your credit card
is billed immediately, and you are not entitled to a refund if you need
to cancel.  If you reserve a room at the hotel's "flexible rate" (the name
varies from chain to chain), the hotel may or may not put a hold on your
credit card for the amount of the reservation, but not charge you for it
until the nights of your stay.  And with a flexible rate, you have the
ability to cancel the reservation up to a short time before the stay.

     Right now on the Intercontinental Hotel Group's online reservation
system, Dayton downtown Crowne Plaza rooms appear available for the
Hamvention 2011 weekend for $209 "flexible rate" or $176 "advanced
purchase".  The DoubleTree does the same thing, but it's rates are a lot
lower for that weekend: $89 "unrestricted" or $71 "advanced purchase".

     It's been years since I've been to Hamvention, but when I went we
always stayed at the DoubleTree and were happy with it.  It's not
like we spent very much time in the room anyway.  Among other things,
the DoubleTree public areas were non-smoking when the Crowne Plaza still
tolerated smoking in their lobbies.  It's a 10 minute walk between the
two hotels.  Several years ago, it seemed safe enough even at night - I
don't know what downtown Dayton is like now.

-Ken WM5R

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:00:51AM -0400, Richard F DiDonna NN3W wrote:
> not sure how you're getting that.  I get the following error
> message...Through the IHG website.  The CPDayton website refers yo you the
> IHG site engine.
>
> There are no rooms available for your requested travel criteria. Please
> consider either modifying your requirements or searching alternate hotels.
>
> 73 Rich NN3W

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/