CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] What contributes to your score the most?

To: Ken Widelitz <widelitz@gte.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] What contributes to your score the most?
From: <w2lc@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:43:23 -0500
Ken, Just to let you know I was not insulted at all.

Everyone,

>From the responses I received there are quite a few contesters out there that
>are using older radios like I am. Nice to know that I am not alone. Sure I
>would like band decoders and amplfiers that actually run 1500W, I have been
>looking at the FT-2000's, looks like about $3500 with a few accessories added.

Having an older radio is like living in a less than optimum location, you work
with what you have. I see a lot of guys putting in some excellent scores with
stations and locations I am sure they would like to improve.

My next addition will either be a new radio of perhaps some newer yagi's. I am
currently using 3 stacked tri-banders. For what they are they work pretty well.

So here is a question for everyone. My CQWW CW best is: QSOs 2543, Zones 132,
Cntrys 425, Score before log checking 4,077,797. 40 hours of operating time.
How much does a new radio improve on that score? Does a new FT-2000 put me over
5 million? over 6 million?

Was the radio really the limiting factor? I say a brand new radio would not
have changed that score all that much.

--
73 Scott W2LC