CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] The Oracle Spoke

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Oracle Spoke
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:46:49 -0600
* On 2011 28 Feb 11:22 -0600, Rex Lint wrote:
> >It's too bad that QST will no longer publish such wacky stories.
>
> Why is that?

Lawyers?

I recall in the early '80s an April QST cover showing an obviously
doctored photo of a guy laying on a brace that ran from the top of the
tower to the driven element of his HF yagi so he could (presumably)
adjust the Gamma match.  The ensuing letters to the editor were
incredible reading.  I found it hard to believe that anyone could take
the photo seriously as a condoned method of tower work.  Even though
this was well before body harnesses and 100% tie-off was in vogue in
amateur circles.

> W6ISQ used to be a favorite author of mine.  Guess wacky stories went
> the way of contest scores.

Humor has changed due to the shock "comedians".  People are no longer
impressed by such light hearted articles and running them on a regular
basis would likely result in many letters demanding that QST stick to
"serious" amateur radio material.  Once in a while a light hearted
article is snuck in but not with the regularity of 40 years ago.
Perhaps we're just a humorless lot these days.

73, de Nate >>