CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting - not

To: gerry@yccc.org, sawyered@earthlink.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting - not
From: "" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:29:20 -0500
<head>
        <title></title>
</head>
#000000;">I think most of us will be using Skimmer sooner or later. &nbsp;Wigi
KL0R *just* set it up @ KL7RA about a week or so before ARRL DX CW. &nbsp;On
the recommendation of Frank W3LPL we found a Q1SDR for sale (with licenses for
CW and RTTY skimmer) ..downloaded the software on to a good, but not absolutely
top range PC (HP I7 Quad Core) and voila ..6 band skimmer. &nbsp;We definitely
picked up some Qs we would not otherwise have gotten. &nbsp;We should be able
to install RTTY skimmer as well, and provide a feed to RBN on 10-160 on both
modes.
<footer class="signatureContainer">&nbsp;</footer>
73<br>
Steve KL7SB<br>
<i>On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:11:42 -0500, Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
wrote:</gerry@yccc.org></i><br>
KE1J was very active from K2LE in Vermont.<br>
In CW contesting, the need to spot has virtually been eliminated by the RBN.<br>
In fact, if you are not looking at RBN spots, you are at a disadvantage.<br>
This has a detrimental effect on SSB, as it is not automated.<br>
However, for Assisted operating in the real world, RBN is here to stay.<br>
RBN hurt us at VY1AAA, as we were not manually spotted much, and prop,<br>
especially in Europe, was not so<br>
hot, so we were not picked up by RBN.<br>
The is game in CW contesting now.<br>
73, Gerry W1VE<br>
One of the VY1AAA Gang<br>
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Ed Sawyer <sawyered@earthlink.net> wrote:<br>
&gt; Apparently, no one wants to spot any more. They think that everyone is<br>
&gt; using skimmer so what's the point? I decided to make some notes this
time<br>
&gt; in ARRL DX.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; - When did I start CQing on 80, 40, 20, 15?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; - When did I get spotted?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; - Did I notice any big burst of calls?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I compared those notes with a look at the DX Summit to see how the
spots<br>
&gt; compared.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Keep in mind that I was likely the ONLY Vermont station CQing for many
if<br>
&gt; not most of the time.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I found that in MANY cases - I was running for more than an hour, in
some<br>
&gt; cases, close to 2 hours! Before being spotted. Worked 100 - 300
stations<br>
&gt; before being spotted.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I also had a very direct correlation of a noticeable burst of activity
when<br>
&gt; spotted. That means that there was a noticeable group of people not
using<br>
&gt; skimmer that were assisted. Why don't those people spot?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; If you run assisted, what is your comment?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; 73<br>