CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Age related problems in FT1000?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Age related problems in FT1000?
From: Mike&Shelley Ritz <micritz@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:47:57 +0000 (UTC)
The death nail for the FT-1000/D is going to be the special display unit, which
are vacuum fluorescent, and like an old vacuum tube tuning eye, eventually lose
brightness when the cathodes run out of emitting material. The first FT-1000 I
bought on-line suffered from that problem as it was used "quite a bit" before I
got it. The display on normal was very dim, and on "DIM" was unreadable. You
will notice on E-Bay that one was recently dismantled and sold out for parts,
and everything was available except the display board. (Which I could have
used!) .

There are a lot of other of this generation of radios that are going to be in
the same boat in a few years.. My FRG-7700 also has a vacuum display on it, as
do many Kenwoods.

I keep my second "new" FT-1000D "DIM" all the time for exactly that reason ....

73'

Mike, W7VO