CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] QZB (Suggestion)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QZB (Suggestion)
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:08:26 -0600 (CST)
Not to be harsh or unsympathetic, especially for a hard core full blown M/M
effort when you're trying to maximize contacts...

But if the "point & click" crowd hasn't figured out yet that they have to move
a little off the pile to be heard, then that's their problem.

Now, I know that this is tough, especially in the middle of a crowded band
during one of the biggest CW contests annually... but I don't know if a new "Q"
signal will help.  For one thing, too many won't know what it means.

A better solution, IF possible under band conditons, might be to go split, say
UP 1 -- the wiser callers will know to transmit Up 1+, or Up 1 - 2, and thus
spread the pile-up out.  Again, IF possible... sometimes it's not, and we all
know that.

And John... I liked the TS-480, it's a good rig, but frankly I'd hate to run
another contest with one.  I found that mine was too prone to front end
overload from nearby stations (there's another ham who lives about a block from
me).  Maybe it was just the unit I had, but mine failed in comparison to a
Ten-Tec Corsair II when it came to that, and to receiving the weakest signals.
There's a lot of good things I could do with one, but operating a contest was
not on the list.

73, ron w3wn

Feb 21, 2011 08:53:30 AM, jlangdon@outer.net wrote:

I noticed the same thing, but thought my receiver (TS-480) front end just
couldn't handle the very strong signals on 20 and 40. It resulted in people
calling longer and longer until somebody was recognized. I also noticed
that a few ops switched to tail ending, and that worked when the running
station could handle it. It is pretty tough to time a jump in during the
ARRL exchange! It was especially bad trying to work EU stations from Texas
where almost all of the other callers are in your beam width and very loud.

73 John N5CQ