CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] RBN Spots?

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RBN Spots?
From: "Eric Gruff" <egruff@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 10:18:33 -0700
This is hugely helpful. I've been contesting a long time, and never paid
much attention to being spotted (I just assumed it happened when someone
liked your call or took pity on you). This past weekend, I operated SOAB low
power, and was spotted less than five times the whole contest despite
calling CQ for hours (in total). The last two spots were within five minutes
of each other with 30 minutes to go on Sunday afternoon. Other LP stations
in Southern CA were spotted throughout the contest, and two local hams that
I know were easily spotted over a dozen times throughout the weekend. I was
beginning to think that I was being discriminated against until I read this
string.

I was calling only "CQ TEST NC6K", and if the responses are correct (thanks,
N4ZR), I sabotaged myself by not using duplicate CQs and my calls. Something
to try next contest - my rate went up appreciably each time I was spotted,
so I can only agonize over how many Qs and points I caused myself to lose.

Oh well. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

As the commercial says, I wonder what else I've been missing?

Eric NC6K