CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Re: Listening intervals [was:CQWW Phone 1998]

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Listening intervals [was:CQWW Phone 1998]
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed Oct 28 09:55:01 1998
At 09:13 PM 10/27/98 -0600, Chuck wrote:

>Barry Stewart wrote:
>
>> I'm convinced that a lot of operators 'drift' off and
>> just keep pushing the button point one of a second after their receiver
cuts
>> back in. More so into the contest - either through tiredness or really not
>> expecting a reponse?
>
>Only when I'm outside "watering the grass."

I use TRLog's Auto-CQ feature and, on CW, set it at 4-4.5 seconds pause.
I'm amazed at how MUCH time that really is -- enough to listen on frequency
and even listen well above and below with the RIT.  If someone's calling
and above the noise, that's plenty of time to recognize the fact and
respond.  Much longer and somebody will parachute in and try to seize the
frequency.

I grant that late in any contest, or if things are slow, it takes
discipline to listen carefully, every time, but that's another story...

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, only middlin' rare WEST Virginia