CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] losing run frequency

Subject: [CQ-Contest] losing run frequency
From: k1my@nlis.net (Bruce Makas)
Date: Thu Mar 12 18:09:29 1998
I've got another situation that has happened to me and I'm interested how
others have reacted:

I tend to establish my run frequencies higher in the band; in this case I
was in the 14260 or 270 area with a nice European run going on Sunday
afternoon when someone landed right on top of me and started up a net. It
was the Greek American friendship net or something like that. When I got
his attention and told him that I had been here for a while, he said that
they had met on this frequency at this time for years and that I had no
right to be on "their" frequency. I can appreciate the inconvenience the
contest was causing them but I wanted to keep the frequency and stayed
there. Obviously the European members of the net were not happy and let me
know every time I was not transmitting. I accepted the reduced rate for a
while but this was going no where and after 15 or 20 minutes when one of
the 2x1 Italian contest stations with a 40 over signal came on I gave up
and left.

Was I right? What would others have done? How do you handle this situation?

73,  Bruce Makas, K1MY
     Cape Elizabeth, Maine
     207/767-8150
     k1my@nlis.net

From: k5zd@ma.ultranet.com" <k5zd@ma.ultranet.com (Randy Thompson)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: [YCCC] losing run frequency

When you have the misfortune to be attacked by a "net", it is usually
better for your score to move rather than fight.  After all, the fact that
these people all come to the same frequency day (week) after day (week)
means they probably have nothing better to do.   And certainly have more of
a vested interest in the frequency than you do (after all, they own it!).

As bad as being on the net frequency is... the best place to be is just
next to one.  Then you have the full resources of the net making sure the
space between you and them is kept perfectly clear!

Randy, K5ZD